Intro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRookie

Reaction score
How y'all doing?
New to forums and just bought my first Truck. 98 GMC C1500 SLE.
Open to any build advice, are there any gremlins that I need to be aware of?
As I understand it these trucks are pretty dependable, seems like people have an issue with the lower part of the body rusting out on them over time. I'm the second owner of this vehicle and have only had a problem with the windshield leaking/ whistling at speeds of 50+ mph. One electrical gremlin with the tail lights that was solved easily. Other than that i'm really enjoying this truck and looking forward to sharing my build. This place looks like it has all the info ill ever need.
-Trey

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Not really a gremlin but more of a free upgrade. There is a 'diffuser' on the throttle blade on your vortec engine that you can cut off to give better throttle response and help cruise control respond faster without needing to downshift all the time. only takes about 15 mins and is free, so win-win

And welcome!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I used flowable silicone on my windshield on my last leak. Its good stuff, and seeps into the gap where the leak is. It also does a neater job. It all but disappears as it flows into the crack.

TheRookie

Reaction score
I located the "Diffuser" on the throttle blade looks like an easy job and i will be doing that soon, I will post updates on my build thread upon completion. I will be looking for some "Flowable Silicone" also, Thank you for the help and the friendly reception.
-Trey

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I located the "Diffuser" on the throttle blade looks like an easy job and i will be doing that soon, I will post updates on my build thread upon completion. I will be looking for some "Flowable Silicone" also, Thank you for the help and the friendly reception.
-Trey

First of all, welcome!

I just wanted to throw in my two cents regarding the throttle blade mod. I did it to one of my trucks a couple years back and the only thing it did was turn my throttle pedal into more of an on/off switch than a linear instrument. I don't like it. I'm actually putting a factory non-modified blade back in when it goes into the shop for the transmission swap here soon. Just food for thought.

TheRookie

Reaction score
I just wanted to throw in my two cents regarding the throttle blade mod. I did it to one of my trucks a couple years back and the only thing it did was turn my throttle pedal into more of an on/off switch than a linear instrument. I don't like it. I'm actually putting a factory non-modified blade back in when it goes into the shop for the transmission swap here soon. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the advice, ill be looking into it a little further. any chance you would be interested in sending me the one you modified after you switch back to OEM?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, ill be looking into it a little further. any chance you would be interested in sending me the one you modified after you switch back to OEM?

Sure, it'll be a while yet though. I actually bought it from CFMTech back when they were selling them modified.