Interior plastic repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
Replacing my headlight switch tonight and of course all 4 of the tiny little plastic **** that hold the switch cover on the back of the dash face are rotten/snapped/ Fubar, so as I contemplate my next move of fabrication I dream of time travel back to 1987 to the design meetings when some GM ********* decided to make load bearing parts out of ****** ABS plastic that will certainly decay and snap over the next 30 years...and I get to kick them all square in the nuts. Sorry to hijack your thread I just have a burning hatred for broken plastic tonight (always). Not biodegradable my ass

sorry I just needed to vent before I yelled at the kids or kicked the dog

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replacing my headlight switch tonight and of course all 4 of the tiny little plastic **** that hold the switch cover on the back of the dash face are rotten/snapped/ Fubar, so as I contemplate my next move of fabrication I dream of time travel back to 1987 to the design meetings when some GM ********* decided to make load bearing parts out of ****** ABS plastic that will certainly decay and snap over the next 30 years...and I get to kick them all square in the nuts. Sorry to hijack your thread I just have a burning hatred for broken plastic tonight (always). Not biodegradable my ass

I agree with you. Except it was probably more like 1984. My 88 was purchased in April of 1987.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

And they could care less what happens after it left the factory.

The '88 was the first flight of the GMT 400 design and likely was the toughest of the bunch. Remember it had better headlights etc. Not only was the truck designed to last three years (payout) of first line use, they "knew" that the handyman or plumber who bought it as a work truck afterward could care less about stuff like broken plastic. If it wasn't broken already, his hired help would likely take care of that the first week. GM saw no need for long lasting plastic and had NO idea these trucks would last 20-30 years.

THEN came the bean counters for the subsequent models. The "if we make this part thinner and this metal part out of plastic it will still last 3 years" crowd. Remember if you save one nickel (five cents) when you are producing 3 to 5 million units (I have no idea how many were made) those nickels add up to real dollars and meanwhile they have a great popular truck so they are gouging the price ever upward. Win Win! Cheaper to build and more money to buy.

The future hope for these trucks is for someone to get really creative with 3D printing tech and CNC equipment and start turning out replacement plastic parts.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score