speedo bezel repair-my way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a recent vacation to Maine, I found a Pull-a-Part yard, and decided to have a look for a cluster bezel for my '89 Cheyenne. Found one that looked pristine, so I proceeded to remove it. Don'cha know, that when the 4 corner screws were removed and the bezel was loose, the light switch fell off of the backside. All 4 screw bosses had deteriorated. Also, the lower left screw cavity had crumbled. Well, i bought it anyway for $20. Now, how to fix it. I ground away what was left of the bosses flush to the bezel, placed the switch into its' hole and found that the mounting plane of the switch was 1/4" above the bezel. Instead of relying on an epoxy to make new bosses, I decided to use an aluminum stand-off that was threaded for a 6/32 screw. I opened up the 4 screw holes on the switch base to accept the screws, threaded on the stand-offs, and with super glue gel ( more time to work with prior to setting), I placed the assembly back in the bezel. While I was at it, I reinforced the three good screw cavities with washers glued in place (super glue again) and made a new cavity for the lower left corner using a washer and JB Weld moldable putty (SteelStik). Worked like a charm!!

Attachments

• DSCN0695.JPG
    DSCN0695.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0696.JPG
    DSCN0696.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0693.JPG
    DSCN0693.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 28

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a recent vacation to Maine, I found a Pull-a-Part yard, and decided to have a look for a cluster bezel for my '89 Cheyenne. Found one that looked pristine, so I proceeded to remove it. Don'cha know, that when the 4 corner screws were removed and the bezel was loose, the light switch fell off of the backside. All 4 screw bosses had deteriorated. Also, the lower left screw cavity had crumbled. Well, i bought it anyway for $20. Now, how to fix it. I ground away what was left of the bosses flush to the bezel, placed the switch into its' hole and found that the mounting plane of the switch was 1/4" above the bezel. Instead of relying on an epoxy to make new bosses, I decided to use an aluminum stand-off that was threaded for a 6/32 screw. I opened up the 4 screw holes on the switch base to accept the screws, threaded on the stand-offs, and with super glue gel ( more time to work with prior to setting), I placed the assembly back in the bezel. While I was at it, I reinforced the three good screw cavities with washers glued in place (super glue again) and made a new cavity for the lower left corner using a washer and JB Weld moldable putty (SteelStik). Worked like a charm!!
Well done, that looks like a reliable repair.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why is the stupid wire harness so short?! mine switch is epoxied on, and every time i remove it, the glue breaks and i have to redo it because i cant get my hand in there to undo the harness.