Instant orange peel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ugghhh! lol I know with some of the crap and industrial enamels I messed with there were re-coat windows. Ie: if you waited more than 4 hours after the last coat, you needed to wait 72 hours before recoating and it might call for a light scuff.

Sometimes you get lucky

Just an update - after a few hot garage/cold drive to work cycles, I now have big chunks of paint peeling off. Don't do what I did!

You must be registered for see images attach

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It isn't a real big deal, as I had planned to da all of the paint off and do a better job, it was kind of a science experiment.

Sometimes it is fun to fail on your own.

On a side note - I have never had good luck applying clear over an existing finish of any kind. Base then clear is the only thing that has ever worked for me. Seems like without a chemical bond, things just don't work.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update - after a few hot garage/cold drive to work cycles, I now have big chunks of paint peeling off. Don't do what I did!

You must be registered for see images attach
Other than digging through the post and I'm a few drinks into the evening, I'm not sure what you did, other than saying a lot of these tractor paints/rustoleum are bad news when used in an automotive application.

When it comes to cheaping out chances are I've probably already tried it, I reserve rustoleum tractor paints and other industrial non catalyzed type paints for equipment. Trailers, metal stuff around the house/shop, lawn furniture etc. Even the worst can of catalyzed acrylic enamel is better than some of these paints.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Other than digging through the post and I'm a few drinks into the evening, I'm not sure what you did, other than saying a lot of these tractor paints/rustoleum are bad news when used in an automotive application.

When it comes to cheaping out chances are I've probably already tried it, I reserve rustoleum tractor paints and other industrial non catalyzed type paints for equipment. Trailers, metal stuff around the house/shop, lawn furniture etc. Even the worst can of catalyzed acrylic enamel is better than some of these paints.

I sprayed lacquer clear over enamel paint. Was always told that you can't do it, but had never tried myself.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It isn't a real big deal, as I had planned to da all of the paint off and do a better job, it was kind of a science experiment.

Sometimes it is fun to fail on your own.

On a side note - I have never had good luck applying clear over an existing finish of any kind. Base then clear is the only thing that has ever worked for me. Seems like without a chemical bond, things just don't work.
That's where the real problem starts.... when you go to put a better automotive paint over the un-catalyzed mess. Un-catalyzed paint likes to lift, or as some call it fry -up, around sanding cut-through's etc. The next paint job is only as good as what's underneath it. Guys don't understand when it come's time for better paint you need to strip all that off. At the end of the day all you accomplished was creating a hella amount of work.

Base coat flashes off fast, so a slower drying clear works on top of it. When you put a fast drying base or a fast drying primer over oil base, synthetic enamel, alkyd enamel, uncatalyzed acrylic enamel, etc, it will almost always wrinkle.

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no need to be certified for home use. I doubt you had actual penetration on 3/8" steel with 110V unless you had an open butt joint. 110v gets you 140 amps max, 3/8" would need more for single pass full penetration. 3/16" is probably max for 140 amps.

I'm sorry, 3/16" is indeed what I meant. Brain fart.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol, what is it with welders and appendage length competition. Almost had a trainwreck thread on your hands. Anyways, what originally happened to your header panel was you missed your window of opportunity for your topcoat. You let the paint sit too long before laying the clear

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tell that to the shmucks around here. Hell, IS there a certification for sheet metal welding?
Yes there is, through the I-Car training program. Evidently you don't pay attention. Us Shmucks are just sharing information. We're not the shmuck with the effed up header panel that's incapable of dealing with it. lol