Installing Offroad Designs shackle flip questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The hardest part of my install by far was getting the old rivets out. You will need a very good air hammer, or small angle grinder like I used to grind them flush. Another thing to think about is the shackles themselves may not want to rotate to the opposite side of the spring since they have been in the same position for years. My driver side was a pain. Anti-sieze everything you can and grease the bolts where they go through.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The hardest part of my install by far was getting the old rivets out. You will need a very good air hammer, or small angle grinder like I used to grind them flush. Another thing to think about is the shackles themselves may not want to rotate to the opposite side of the spring since they have been in the same position for years. My driver side was a pain. Anti-sieze everything you can and grease the bolts where they go through.
That's a good point, I havent pulled the trigger on them yet because of a surgery and down time. So how do you like your ride or how has it changed

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I did too many things at once to tell how much impact the flip had on it's own. It definitely rides better on 5100s than on 20 year old crusty factory shocks!

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No but will give you more room. It's not that hard, I have to do it to my truck, but have other more pressing things to do....

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did one on my truck a few years ago. I strongly recommend an air chisel, they are worth it.

Also, I had the cut my tailpipe because it would have hit the shackle. And the hardest part is getting your pinion angle right, it's WAYYYY off after the shackle flip.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats the benefit of doing the shackle flip instead of getting 4” of lift from add a leafs, or blocks? Which is the easiest to install?

Blocks have a chance of slipping out under hard flexing, which is why nobody puts them in the front or stacks more than one together. In the back it's a lot less likely but the possibility is still there.

Blocks are the cheapest and easiest way to lift though, which is why most people use them.

The shackle flip actually gives you more flex off road and doesn't introduce any additional parts in the system that might slip out at a bad time. It's more work though. You have to punch the old rivets out and drill some holes. I did mine in an afternoon with a couple buddies, it wasn't bad for a regular guy to DIY but having to measure and shim the pinion angle has been a huge pain since its a steeper angle compared to what shims are avaliable to buy.