Inner tie rod problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
About a year ago I replaced all of the steering parts on my truck. Last fall I noticed excessive play in the passenger side. Especially considering all the parts were new. I found that the cotter pin wasn't meshing with the castle nut. I got it tightened down and I thought I'd see how long is would stay. Well the slop is back so I need to do something to get this fixed. It almost looks like the hole for the cotter pin is drilled in the wrong spot. I should have a warranty on the parts but I'm not real excited about tearing into it again.

Note: in the picture I had already removed the cotter pin.

You must be registered for see images attach

And the drivers side just like how it's supposed to be.

Any ideas?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with you that the cotter key hole is not drilled down far enough, I would warranty it out for a new one that is right.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with you that the cotter key hole is not drilled down far enough, I would warranty it out for a new one that is right.
Well on the plus side I guess I got about a year free. On the down side I've got to replace it and then I'll be looking at another $50 alignment. Oh well.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I understand and it suck's about the alignment, but at least you will be safe!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$50 just to set the toe? that's high, round here they do only $20-25 or so.

As for a fix what about a washer? take up the slack, just have to remove the nut, use a washer, then put it back on and insert the pin. If not maybe use 2 cotter pins, one with the big end down towards the nut and all the way in so it catches in the castle groove, spread it, then throw in another on top to help hold it in place.

TTZ06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take the nut off and put a thick washer under it. Replace and install pin.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$50 just to set the toe? that's high, round here they do only $20-25 or so.
I guess $50 is for a complete front end alignment. I'm not sure if any of my local places are willing to just set the toe. That's something I guess I could check into.

I actually thought about a washer and part of my wants to just just do that and call it a day but the other part of me is saying "That's just a bandaid fix. Do it the right way especially if you can get a warranty..." I guess I'm conflicted. haha

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heck around here it's 69.95 for an alignment, more at some places, there's one place here that's charging 69.95 per axle, and if you have a car or truck that has adjustable rear component's then you need to adjust or at least chack all 4 wheel's, what a scam.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heck around here it's 69.95 for an alignment, more at some places, there's one place here that's charging 69.95 per axle, and if you have a car or truck that has adjustable rear component's then you need to adjust or at least chack all 4 wheel's, what a scam.
Yeah I think that it's quite a bit more if you've got adjustments for the rear as well. $55 or whatever it is currently is for Front end only. At least they "check" it for free but if anything needs adjustment they charge you. Obviously they are going to say things need adjustment whenever possible.

It can't be that difficult for a good tech to do either. When I replaced all my steering parts last year I had the toe within a couple of degrees with just my tape measure. lol

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No with the alignment machines they have today it isn't hard at all, I watch them do it all the time.