I Gotta Know!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They have been around for a while. When I got my 1988 K1500 it had the Rancho RS6427 3" lift already installed. It must have been from near new as this kit had been discontinued from not long after it came out it was that bad. Normally, the front suspension geometry has anti-squat designed into it for heavy braking control, but with this kit it had it completely reversed so that it enhanced the front squatting under brakes. It wasn't until the urethane bushes ate themselves up and I found I couldn't get replacements that I took the offending parts out and fitted Rough Country UCAs to allow for the extra height. Here's a picture showing the UCA to chassis mounts being lowered about 2" by the dropdown bracket in the front but not the rear thereby totally reversing the geometry.
You must be registered for see images attach
Sums it up that bs can come from what were/are seemingly reputable companies. I tend to steer people away from 3 inch kits, they seem to be a disaster all the way around.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are lifting your truck to clear tires and are going off road/show the truck at events, I understand. If you are lowering the truck to show at events, I understand.

But otherwise, why do you lift or lower a perfectly good truck and stress the components that get out of factory spec? It is your truck, do whatever the hell you want, it is your money. I really like the stock/strong/cream puff look that shows the care put in to the truck. Open the hood and is not filthy. Starts like it should. Idles like it should. Accelerates like it should. Handles like it should. Heats like it should. Cools like it should. Brakes like it should. Does what a truck should. Hell, just that alone is enough cost on an older truck.

Tell me where I am off base. No need to get obstinate, just tell me WHY..... Personal preference, I can understand, I can. But other wise, clue me in.

I gotta be up front here though. I have had a 1973 Blazer, one ton axles-front and rear-14 bolt full float and Dana 60 with 4.88 gears and Detroit lockers in both. Full roll cage. 400 CSB, all aluminum radiator with switch activated fans. Carbed with special float set up for severe angles. Gusseted frame and bracing. Line locks on both ends brakes. Hydraulic ram steering. 6" of lift with 38" Bogger tires. You name it, I likely had it on that truck. I had a Warn fiber rope 12k lb. winch that was set up to pull at front or rear and had a bag of snatch blocks and shackles and straps. I even had an onboard air compressor. I have been all over Tilamook Forest with it, here in Oregon and went to Rubicon for trails and rock crawling. I was told by a local, that my full size rig was the 3rd ever to make it to the top of Potato Salad Hill. But again, that was purpose built and not legal on the street.
If ya gotta know, It centers around Small D*ck syndrome ....just ask the ladies.

Oh jebusss, I've gone too far......

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can, at a moment's notice, go with my girl on a trip out of state. The closer to stock that I keep a vehicle, Tahoe or truck, the more I can count on it to get me from point A to B and back. It is something I have believed in for over 60 years. I have had my fun when younger and all I cared about was looking good doing something no one else might do or build. But I always came back to the stock LOOK. It's what is under the hood and frame that I mess with but with a stock stance. Sleeper.
I've done the same, jump in the truck and go anywhere I pleased at a moment's notice - with two different lowered trucks. My '92 C1500 which did let me down a couple times but due to the high mileage on the truck (transmission failures, and a water pump let go), and my '94 C2500LD which only let me down once when the transmission went. I also worked these trucks about as much as one might work any light duty truck. No problems related to the drop or other modifications I did. I frequently ran back and forth from Atlanta to Houston in the '92, and all around a several-state area on arcade game/pinball machine runs.

Now, when I loaded the '92 with a bed full of plywood and roll roofing, it sat on the bump stops, so it was a slow trip home! Probably more than one might expect a 1500 to haul, but lowering it made it a little bit worse, I'm sure.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Not fair......wtf no supporting pics? lol
That was a long time ago. No digital. Late '80's. Early '90's.
Place was built in 1892. Burned to the ground in 2012.
I'd been drinkin' in there since the mid '70's.
Took a little piece of my heart when it went down.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That was a long time ago. No digital. Late '80's. Early '90's.
Place was built in 1892. Burned to the ground in 2012.
I'd been drinkin' in there since the mid '70's.
Took a little piece of my heart when it went down.

looks like a brothel lol

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no right or wrong about it all.
There may some ******* cringe for sure.
But whatever makes you cringe might be some other persons dream.
Back in the 1960s there was a trend that started in California where people would velvet coat cars. Especially Buick Rivearas.
They glued velvet to the entire car.
In the 50s and the 60s they destroyed 32 fords left and right.
And 49 to 50 Mercs.
They cut Chevy Nomad wagons in half and welded them back together to make "stubbies"
In the 80s and 90s vintage cars got circumcised and nuetered with bondo and bubblegum.
So many people who never have the ambition to customize a car get really pissy when sombody else does it.
It aint your car..
We had a customer get all nutted up panty twisted because we were pulling the stock 307 out of a Camaro Berlinetta and throwing it in the scrap.
he sounded like a seagull looking for a french fry.
Squakk'...Squakkk...Numbers matching ...squakkk..
Yes, numbers matching 307 berlinetta.
With rot holes I could have chucked a racoon through.
And it wasnt his car.
Mind yer own damn business chucklehead.
I would never wagon wheel a 68 cutlass.
That isnt my thing.
But I do understand the ******* money and work that it takes to do that.
Every modified car has somebody behind it who tried and spent some money and busted some knuckles doing it.
There are car people and there are posers.
Some people have turned the wrench and some people pay someone else to turn the wrench.
None of which excuses you for making your wife sit in a lawn chair while you go butt snuggle all of the other car guys.
Its a ******* car
Yes, you may get some interest from your car.
But you need to have a lot more depth than that.
A car doesnt make you a man.
And a girl who is into you because of your car is as dense and shallow as you are.
Remember kids, if you **** that up you can end up with a kid and spend the 18 to 21 years working in construction while some other ****** is spending your child support money.
Dont buy a car thinking you will get laid.
Buy a car as a present to yourself and as a reward to make you happy after going through the **** to get yourself there.
This, this is epic. lol love this guy's post's. I might have participated in 80's-90's bubble gum and bondo scene, but going to maintain a non-definitive posture. lol Bubble gum and bondo sums it up to a t. Numbers matching 307 Berlinetta. yeah, lol Shark trucks etc, are the left overs from this era where anything went. Rediculous pro streeters etc. Lots of crazy and outlandish stuff built. Easter egg paint jobs galore. lol

Last edited:

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going WAY BACK to the opening post, i got to thinking about my '89 RCSB and why. I dreamed of my own hot rod back in the 60's, before Uncle Ho Chi invited me to his party. Then life happened. Had a few close calls with some street rods ('48 Willys, '54 Ford, '68 Chevelle SS, '80 Squarebody), but my truck is sorta like the fat-fender 2 seater that was... I don't like the wannabe Monster truck look, nor the belly scraping look. Just simple and plain. It's lowered a little (2/4) just to give it some attitude, but most won't notice that. I've repowered it with LS (just a little 4.8L), not quick but fast enough for me. I can still spin a wrench, but that's slowly winding down (77 yrs this year). Wheels and tires are becoming a struggle, and laying under the truck takes a little bit more effort. But, the truck is still my ideas and likes put into my reality. It's dependable, and fun to drive. Maybe it's a Walter Mitty thing, I don't know. Or care! The next holder of the keys will undoubtedly do their thing with it, but for now, I'm enjoying it, doing what I can with it. So, see ya down the road, and keep the shiney side up.

Oh, btw, I also have a bike. Triumph Bonneville. My oldest son and I usually will take a week, every year, touring upper New England. Lotsa fun for this geezer

My rides. Sorry for no Chevelle pic, it was stolen

Attachments

• May_Photos-Hershey_car_show_150_(Medium).jpg
    May_Photos-Hershey_car_show_150_(Medium).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 4
  • wash day 001.JPG
    wash day 001.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0013.JPG
    DSCN0013.JPG
    447.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210913_092032.jpg