Hydro Boost: what am I missing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ralph Bartels

Reaction score
what am I missing here? I’m pretty sure the push rod... if so what do I need? Also, what are the ports circled for?

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The left one is a pressure regulator i think.. The one on the right i have no idea.. But i made a push rod out of 1/2" Stainless and turned it on the lathe till i had about 0.030" of slack. Its working good so far.

Ralph Bartels

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! I found a gentleman parting out an 04’ Yukon xl and picked up the entire unit including the hoses for $70. The other unit is on its way back to Rock Auto.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ralph Bartels

Reaction score
What's all involved in this swap? Been kinda curious how hard this would be to throw in my 91.

From what I understand:
Hydro brake booster and master cylinder, brake pedal from same vehicle, a hose retrofit to send power steering fluid back to the PS pump and the time to put it all together.
There may be more but I’m not too sure.

Doughnuts

Reaction score
Do you need any special hose line for it? As in isn't it a high pressure hose that you have to have? Otherwise it's seems pretty straight forward .

Ralph Bartels

Reaction score
Do you need any special hose line for it? As in isn't it a high pressure hose that you have to have? Otherwise it's seems pretty straight forward .

Pretty sure the hoses from the original unit. I’m still researching how everything hooks up.
This is the thread I’m going off of:

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/gmt-400-hydroboost-swap.13105/

After reading through the thread again the pressure lines go from the pump to the hydro and then from the hydro to the steering box. There is a return line from the box back to the pump as well a return line from the hydro unit to the pump. You can replace your pump with a unit for the hydro setup, it has a fitting for the return or you can attach the return using a t-fitting. At least I think that’s how it works.

Last edited:

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got my booster out of a 2004 escalade with 110K and it is now leaking which is a bummer. I think the brand new high end ps pump puts out more pressure and blew it out.

I got the brake pedal from a 3/4 ton '97 suburban. They are getting harder to come by.

There is lots and lots written on the internet about how to do this swap.

Ralph Bartels

Reaction score
I sourced mynpedal from the same vehicle, 97’ 3/4 Suburban. Where I live there isn’t a whole lot of options in the local pull-n-pay. Sometimes I find what I need on FB marketplace from people parting out vehicles.

Sorry to hear about your booster. I’ve seen rebuild kits but I have no idea the difficulty level.

How did you like the hydro upgrade?