HVAC box removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to replace the doors in my HVAC box. I know you are supposed to remove the dash before you remove the HVAC box. My problem is my dash is cracked badly and I cannot find a good replacement in my area. If afraid that when I start moving it around it will be in several pieces by the time im done. My question has anyone successfully removed there HVAC box with out removing the dash?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always wondered this too. So dumb question.. what if you got a sawzall and chopped your dash. Would it then be possible?. In my case. Dash is pretty rough. But I dont mind making some sort of custom easy access. Or would you pretty much have to cut it in half?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dash is pretty rough.

LOL, that sawzall should take care of that!

On a serious note, I found a good dash for $100 or so (Mississippi) so they do pop up. Car-part.com is a decent salvage yard search engine, usually includes pictures of the vehicles. Whether the yard actually keeps up with their inventory listings is another story, though.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL, that sawzall should take care of that!

On a serious note, I found a good dash for $100 or so (Mississippi) so they do pop up. Car-part.com is a decent salvage yard search engine, usually includes pictures of the vehicles. Whether the yard actually keeps up with their inventory listings is another story, though.
Yeah Ive been looking on there but the inventory for the yards near me don't do a good job of keeping it updated. Im suprised that one of them even shows any parts online. Last time I was in there there computer systems looked like they where from the 90's.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah Ive been looking on there but the inventory for the yards near me don't do a good job of keeping it updated. Im suprised that one of them even shows any parts online. Last time I was in there there computer systems looked like they where from the 90's.

Yeah, that’s been my experience as well. I found a few yards that will let you walk around and take a look at what you want. Much easier that way.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s been my experience as well. I found a few yards that will let you walk around and take a look at what you want. Much easier that way.
The one in the town I live in does that depending on the mood there in. I do have a pick and pull about 100 miles from me but there gmt-400 selection is pretty slim when I go there or what Im looking for has been destroyed by someone else.

Nickpisp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always wondered this too. So dumb question.. what if you got a sawzall and chopped your dash. Would it then be possible?. In my case. Dash is pretty rough. But I dont mind making some sort of custom easy access. Or would you pretty much have to cut it in half?

You’d have to cut so much out that it wouldn’t go back in.