Huge increase in gas mileage... What could cause this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Osiris94ej

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the 250 if you let it get down to almost empty? That's how far I can get mine if I do that but I hate doing that. I can go 200 miles all city when it reaches 1/4 full with a 26 gallon tank. My engine only has 125,000 miles on it, not the original engine though while the truck has 145,000 miles on it. Don't ask why it's not lol. Let's just say I was 19 and stupid (didn't use common sense) lol.

That is running it to about ⅛ tank. I have had a couple of these trucks in the past where that was "E" but I still fit about 25 gallons in at fill up from there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Dmax got 14.6mpg last week and had been getting 12-13.5 for the past couple months. Last week I drove 90mph for 30 miles on that tank, I'm not sure the mpg will off set a ticket but I decided the higher load caused higher temps and my engine actually got up over 150*, I ordered new Tstats and coolant temp sensor so maybe it will got back to 16mpg.

I know that's a diesel but you asked if anyone else saw an MPG increase!

94Cheyenne

W/T 4 Life...
Reaction score
ive got on 260 before all highway

260 highway per tank! Towing trailers i get better that that! I just did a bonzai from socal to denver and back in 32 hours and got 395! with a 32 ford sedan body on the bed.
+ that's 75-80 all the way...

so those v-8's you guys have get 12-15 highway? try 20-21 with a v6 city and 20-23 if i keep it under 80.... S$#@ i must have a freak truck.

back to the op, has the temperature of your area gotten any colder? cold air makes the fuel atomize better when mixing?
or i always notice I get better mileage when i buy a new pair of shoes.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I get 20.5 MPG highway at 75 mph with a vortec 5.7L, 3.73's, and 245/75's...

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Running 3.42's and 35's, I get terrible gas mileage. Usually 140 miles between fill ups with my 25 gallon tank. But for some odd reason, This week I got an awesome 180 miles and I still have I-would-guess another 20 more miles to go before I need to fill up :hail:

I didnt alter anything on my truck, all I did recently was change my oil :think: Not to mention my driving has remained the same. All city, stop and go.

Any clue on what couldve spiked my gas mileage to go up? its boggling me. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

:jawdrop: I'm getting almost 500 miles on a tank...

Montana_k3500

Reaction score
have you been getting lucky at the stoplights/traffic flow? if you are city driving, it can make a huge diff if "the stars align" lol. how long since the last oil change, what kind of oil, and did you change types? I know on my old roadmaster (LT1) and on our aurora (4.0l), when we changed from the old worn out conventional oil they came with to mobil 1 full synthetic, there was a noticeable difference in the way they run. I never compared mileage, but the engines ran smoother, and felt peppier to boot. I agree with the warmer weather bit, plus, I do better when i fuel up at night when its cold, and drive during the day (using the eyeball/fuel guage mpg calculator). How about air/fuel filter changes or exhaust? o2 sensor? Lastly, do you normally drive with your windows down/part way but have recently rolled them up? just some ideas.....