Huge increase in gas mileage... What could cause this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Running 3.42's and 35's, I get terrible gas mileage. Usually 140 miles between fill ups with my 25 gallon tank. But for some odd reason, This week I got an awesome 180 miles and I still have I-would-guess another 20 more miles to go before I need to fill up :hail:

I didnt alter anything on my truck, all I did recently was change my oil :think: Not to mention my driving has remained the same. All city, stop and go.

Any clue on what couldve spiked my gas mileage to go up? its boggling me. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
you're just one of the lucky ones...

RynoHarris

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do know I'm not lifting my dd hoe if you only get 140 miles a tank lol I at least get 250 lol

Sent from my HTC One X

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Proper PSI in your tires can affect mileage big time. Did you remove a lot of weight recently? Get gas from a different gas station? Just trying to think of not monetary things you could have done...

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you check the tire pressures and put them all the same? Did the outside temp suddenly warm up? I check my pressures about every time I fill up. Also when it gets colder the mpg will get worse since cold air is more dense so it will require more fuel. That's why it feels like it has a little more get up and go when it's cold. Other than that it's mainly driving style since you said you haven't done anything to it. I can't really think of anything else.

I guess I must be lucky compared to you, not sure about other 5.7 Vortecs. I get about 11.5 mpg around town. I have a 26 gallon tank and I'm able to go 200 miles (if all city miles) before it gets to 1/4 full.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What the heck do you got going on? I guess it's the 35's. But I get 220 to a tad under half a tank. I have the 34 gallon tank but still. I calculated your mpg to 6mpg with the milage at 150 and a 25 gallon tank.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
you're just one of the lucky ones...
I guess :hail:
I do know I'm not lifting my dd hoe if you only get 140 miles a tank lol I at least get 250 lol

Sent from my HTC One X
swap to 4.56's and it wont be as bad. Ha
Proper PSI in your tires can affect mileage big time. Did you remove a lot of weight recently? Get gas from a different gas station? Just trying to think of not monetary things you could have done...
PSI is the same. About 45 all around. And Ive been thinking and its driving me crazy!
Did you check the tire pressures and put them all the same? Did the outside temp suddenly warm up? I check my pressures about every time I fill up. Also when it gets colder the mpg will get worse since cold air is more dense so it will require more fuel. That's why it feels like it has a little more get up and go when it's cold. Other than that it's mainly driving style since you said you haven't done anything to it. I can't really think of anything else.

I guess I must be lucky compared to you, not sure about other 5.7 Vortecs. I get about 11.5 mpg around town. I have a 26 gallon tank and I'm able to go 200 miles (if all city miles) before it gets to 1/4 full.
I got 270 miles before the lift and 35's, it nearly halved my mileage lol.
What the heck do you got going on? I guess it's the 35's. But I get 220 to a tad under half a tank. I have the 34 gallon tank but still. I calculated your mpg to 6mpg with the milage at 150 and a 25 gallon tank.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Don't know what you did, but let me know!!! I need to get some better fuel mileage

I need better mileage too! hints why im so happy its suddenly inclining! LOL! :rockit::hail: its awesome!

Osiris94ej

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How is everybody getting such low mileage? Mine has 193k (assume original engine 3rd owner) Combined interstate/highway and city. 20 miles round trip. I am squeezing 250+ a tank out of mine.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How is everybody getting such low mileage? Mine has 193k (assume original engine 3rd owner) Combined interstate/highway and city. 20 miles round trip. I am squeezing 250+ a tank out of mine.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Is the 250 if you let it get down to almost empty? That's how far I can get mine if I do that but I hate doing that. I can go 200 miles all city when it reaches 1/4 full with a 26 gallon tank. My engine only has 125,000 miles on it, not the original engine though while the truck has 145,000 miles on it. Don't ask why it's not lol. Let's just say I was 19 and stupid (didn't use common sense) lol.