Hub or CV Axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trying to track down a very annoying squeak on the front left of my truck and I can't tell if its the Wheel Hub/Bearing or Outer CV Axle squeaking like it is. It's definitely one of those because it squeaks with wheel speed not suspension movement. The wheel bearing doesn't have any vertical slop in it and there's no noticeable steering play on the highway. However there's still a very metallic-y sound coming from its area. The inner and outer CV boots are fine with no tears or grease coming out. So I'm kinda lost on this one.

I recorded a video of the suspect area and noise, hopefully someone who has had this issue or knows a bit more than me can give me a definitive answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lntmqM5K4pg

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Its not a CV, they pop and jerk when they go bad. Sounds like a rock is stuck somewhere between the rotor and the backing plate or the caliper and the rotor... I would highly doubt with the style of wheel bearings that we have that they would be bad with no slack. I would start by pulling the wheel/caliper/rotor off and seeing if i could find it there. Backing plate may be touching the rotor.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...That didn't even cross my mind, I'll check and let you know.

Alright, I took it apart and there was some crap on the plate and everywhere else. I cleaned most of it off and took it around the block and it seemed better, but I didn't really drive it far enough to tell.

Last edited:

thomasusa80

Reaction score
...That didn't even cross my brain, I'll check and let you know.

Okay, I disassembled it and there was some poop on the plate and all over else. I cleaned the vast majority of it off and took it around the square and it appeared to be better, yet I didn't generally drive it far enough to tell.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brakes are shot, which I expected, however I wasn't sure it would be the indicator as the sound completely stops when I actually apply the brakes.

Anyway, I'll replace the rotors/pads soon and see if that fixes it.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Sounds like your issue. Make sure to remove, Inspect, (clean or replace) and lube the bolts and slide pins. They can really fawk you if the pins seize up. Doman sells replacement hardware kits on the cheap and it's good insurance to replace them and save headache down the road. Sticking pins killed my pads and rotors in a few days. Don't make the same mistake I did. (Although I had yet to do a brake job so I can blame the previous owner)...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Sounds like your issue. Make sure to remove, Inspect, (clean or replace) and lube the bolts and slide pins. They can really fawk you if the pins seize up. Doman sells replacement hardware kits on the cheap and it's good insurance to replace them and save headache down the road. Sticking pins killed my pads and rotors in a few days. Don't make the same mistake I did. (Although I had yet to do a brake job so I can blame the previous owner)...

Pins seem to seize up on these trucks easily. I don't think the seals were designed well. I've pulled out rusty pins with very little grease on them, when I've likely slathered them up in the past.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Brakes are shot, which I expected, however I wasn't sure it would be the indicator as the sound completely stops when I actually apply the brakes.

Anyway, I'll replace the rotors/pads soon and see if that fixes it.

I was going to ask you if that was the case,a dead give away that the wear indicator was contacting the rotor.Not sure why it does this but it does.Also be sure you have the rubber/plastic caps on the pin heads,helps keep the crap out.