Howdy from WV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WV_Dave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several months ago I picked up a 1994 GMC K2500 burb with the 7.4/4L80e. Only 97k miles on the clock, super faded and cracked dark blue metallic paint but a very nice tan SLE interior. Was used for the past 2 decades as a boat hauler so didn't see much winter salt either. The frame, underbody and brackets/lines all look fairly decent for 27+ years old.

It was idling odd and had a SES light showing the code 36. I found almost every vacuum line rotten and even managed to brake the nipple off of the unicorn also known as the idle speed control valve vacuum solenoid. After a short mess of hunting down a solenoid (AC Delco stopped making the 10233505 years ago and the Standard Motor Products AC437 will work, but you have to rip off the sponge and replace it with a cap) and replacing all the vacuum lines the SES light went off and it idled much smoother.

I've since replaced the distributor with a NOS AC Delco unit (resetting the base timing to 4* BTC), AC Delco plug wires and CR43TS plugs. I also replaced the MAP and TPS sensors along with the IAC valve (Also, all AC Delco).

I have a new Bosch O2 sensor sitting here beside me but I have yet to put it on as mine looks so rough I almost know it's not going to come out. I'm waiting until I'm ready to have a new exhaust system put on since I figure I'll be having a new bung welded in also.

Anyways, now that I've rambled on... I have an ALDL to USB cable in the mail, on it's way and I've downloaded the TunerPro software. Be ready to see me asking lots of questions as I learn to how datalog and diagnose problems with these old OBD1 systems. I still can't figure out why it wants to idle so high and overdrive isn't acting properly... but it's time we see real data before I throw more parts at it with nothing more than hope.

Thanks for all the info here, this place is truly a treasure trove for OBS knowledge.

Dave

WV_Dave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome, sounds like a fun project. Gotta have pictures or it didn't happen :biggrin:

BTW, make sure you have TunerPro RT so you can data log. Regular TunerPro can't.
The day she arrived.

Attachments

• 20210519_203433.jpg
    20210519_203433.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210519_203453.jpg
    20210519_203453.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210519_203600.jpg
    20210519_203600.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

WV_Dave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the welcomes!

My plans for this rig aren't crazy. It's goal is a family hauler/tow machine. I want torque early and often and don't care for anything that helps past 6k rpm.

It was a "special" WVU edition. A local dealer option that included a gold pin striping set down both sides, door decals and front license plate (WV doesn't require a registered front plate).

I hate the front bumper extensions and they're coming off ASAP. Also, a front air dam (with holes for tow hooks) is on the way.

I'd like to do an electric fan conversion next. Beyond that it's going to be simple engine mods that help efficiency and obviously power.

I have a background in IT combined with a hobby tinkering with older GM muscle cars (I built 3 different first gen Camaros about 20 years ago).

This is my first venture into semi-modern stuff, but I feel like my anxiety levels at age 42 and a father of 3 are ready for TBI diagnostics? Right?

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, from another Suburban owner/wrencher. They are great trucks! I see you practically have a unicorn; GMC Burb with a tailgate. Don't know about your year's production, but I had another member run my VIN on my 99 Chevy Burb and at least 85 percent of them are barn doors.