How to wire power seats like stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xjsciortino

Reaction score
I just used a car battery charger, probably not the best option, but I was able to figure out if the seat worked or not. Anyways, thanks for the help, I’ll try to take the motor apart later this weekend and see if I can get it to work at least a little bit better.

The seats probably could benefit from being cleaned and greased. They are not really meant to be fast. Definitely slower than modern car seats. As long as they move while you are sitting on them, I wouldn't be too worried about the speed. I think I adjusted the power seats in my 2500 twice and then completely forgot they were power until now.

I've never had issues testing electronics with battery chargers either. That is usually my go to method if I am not at the truck

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The seats probably could benefit from being cleaned and greased. They are not really meant to be fast. Definitely slower than modern car seats. As long as they move while you are sitting on them, I wouldn't be too worried about the speed. I think I adjusted the power seats in my 2500 twice and then completely forgot they were power until now.

I've never had issues testing electronics with battery chargers either. That is usually my go to method if I am not at the truck
Yeah I know that they aren’t fast, but I remember watching a motorweek video on one of these trucks with the older interior and the power seats, and it moved much faster than the one in my truck. I know I’ll rarely adjust it, but I don’t like it when things don’t work, even though it’s a 27 year old truck, I’d like everything to function correctly.

xjsciortino

Reaction score
Yeah I know that they aren’t fast, but I remember watching a motorweek video on one of these trucks with the older interior and the power seats, and it moved much faster than the one in my truck. I know I’ll rarely adjust it, but I don’t like it when things don’t work, even though it’s a 27 year old truck, I’d like everything to function correctly.

No I totally agree with you. Why go through the work to install new parts or upgrades that will only need to be removed to be fixed in the future or will always be on the list of things to fix?

I've got a bit on that list of thing to fix, but most haven't been a big enough problem to get fixed right away or the weather has not cooperated well enough to do so

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think this is the correct one . the way it is orientated in our truck the bottom of this pic is actually the right side
You must be registered for see images attach
Hello, I am also installing a power bucket seat from a 99 Tahoe into my 1997. only has 2 orange and 1 black. Everything listed above makes sense, but can anyone explain how and where the wires will actually tie into? Forgive me this is new to me so I’m learning. Is there a connector I need to find in order to plug in to convenience center? Or somewhere to splice in? Thank you guys

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I installed my power seat a couple years ago iirc I ran the orange off a spare terminal from the fuse panel to the left of the steering column and grounded the black on a seat bolt to the floor.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I installed my power seat a couple years ago iirc I ran the orange off a spare terminal from the fuse panel to the left of the steering column and grounded the black on a seat bolt to the floor.
Okay, I think I’m just confused because my seat came with the end of the harness cut off and it has 2 orange wires… I can find one terminal in diagrams that say power seats, but not sure where the 2nd one goes

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess the extra orange wire goes to the passenger seat. I would want to know the amps this would draw. Might want to put it on a relay.
The passenger seat that came out of the same Tahoe is manual, and both orange wires are used in driver seat. If anyone has a 1998 or 1999 Tahoe with power seats I’d give an arm and leg for a picture of where the leads go