How to wire power seats like stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The passenger seat that came out of the same Tahoe is manual, and both orange wires are used in driver seat. If anyone has a 1998 or 1999 Tahoe with power seats I’d give an arm and leg for a picture of where the leads go
Does the seat have a lumbar adjustment? Heated?
If so, that's more than likely the second orange wire.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yeah I know that they aren’t fast, but I remember watching a motorweek video on one of these trucks with the older interior and the power seats, and it moved much faster than the one in my truck. I know I’ll rarely adjust it, but I don’t like it when things don’t work, even though it’s a 27 year old truck, I’d like everything to function correctly.
Did you get them moving faster?
The seats in my '98 came out of a '99 Escalade.
Truck was sunk in a water-filled 6' deep ditch, then left for a year in the owner's back yard with the windows up. !!! Mold city. Felt the need for a Haz-Mat suit, pulling that interior out.
When I got the seats, nothing worked.
Took the drive motors apart. They were still filled with water!
Dried them out & took some crocus cloth the the rotors & stators. Cleaned the brushes & all the crud out of the brush channels. Cleaned all the contacts. I got the factory quick connects when I pulled them so they got a good scrubbing, too.
Then it was onto the adjustment switches. Same thing.
Cleaned all the old grease & goo out of the tracks. Lubed with some bearing grease.
Bench-tested & they worked. Yay!
Now they work as they should. Definitely not s-l-o-w.

A tip. Those driver side adjustment switches are notorious for breaking. The actual switch, the housing &/or the internal circuit board.
A lot of the Escalades, Yukons & Denallis had passenger side 6-way power adjust. Those seats get used probably 1/100th as much & they use the same switches.
Same goes for the front sill plates, (except 3 doors?) if you are ever looking for good ones.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Is the sill plate the same on both sides?

Man for you to go through all that Sewlow, the must have been really sweet seats! most of us have seen your work and you my friend are an amazing upholsterer! did I spell that right? LOL

I was also thinking that the extra orange wire goes to the lumbar support pump. it's an air pump of some sort.

Thanks for all the tips there Sewlow!

I do have a 98 sierra with lumbar but the truck is intact and kind of full of tools right now! if no one gets a pic or confirms what you need I'll see what I can do. in the meantime just put power to them and see what happens.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yup! Sill plates are the same side-to-side.

Nice seats? They were G-r-r-oss! Permanently scarred from the mold, even after 3 scrubbings with some serious chemicals that should never be used on leather! Lol!
I needed them clean because I use them for the patterning of the new covers.
...and I have to keep the benches as clean as possible. The next job might be white leather or velvet.
Nice seats? They were only nice because the price was nice.
Free! The console, too!

Thanks for the comps! Appreciate it!

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Ahhhhh! I completely understand and I agree, free sure is a nice price no matter the condition. patterns are expensive, very expensive and that was an awesome score!

I was in a 99 Escalade once and I only took the HVAC controls, the fog light/rear window wiper and something else.... I went back a week later for a whole bunch of things and they crushed it! it was absolutely F'd and wasn't take care of... but I was bummed out because I had just learned how rare they were and they crushed it!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have gotten the FREE service manuals here on this forum? It's the bible for this kind of project. No guessing, no " well i did it like this but mine was blah blah" baloney. Got the wiring diagrams, wire routing, fuse ratings, make life easy. Don't burn your butt. Good luck!

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the seat have a lumbar adjustment? Heated?
If so, that's more than likely the second orange wire.
I think it has lumbar, that would make sense. In that case do I just solder those 2 wires into one single wire that goes to convenience center?