how to upgrade to corvette calipers on a 99 tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2smokey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just picked up some nice cross drilled ans slotted rotors and now i kinda want to put some nicer calipers on my truck.whats all needed to do corvette calipers on my 99 tahoe 2wd? is it just brackets,calipers pretty much?the rotors i picked up today are pretty thick but are supposed to work with stock calipers.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Paint the caliper gloss back and call it a day. If you want to upgrade then you should go with an aftermarket direct replacement system. I think Baer makes one for out trucks. 2 or 4 piston calipers. Baer typically use the same caliper in their truck kits, just change the brackets to fit the model intended. I've got a set of 08 GT500 OEM Brembo calipers that would be a cool mod. They are designed for a 14" rotor so I'm not sure of it could be made to work on our trucks. They also require minimum 19" low positive offset wheel. The owner of the GT500 brought me the car to do Super Snake mods. He went with 6 piston Baer calipers among other upgrades and I have all of the parts collecting dust. A stock supercharger(complete with throttle body and all intake tubing), radiator, struts and springs, roll bars, front spoiler, T56 shifter and more. Had it all for about 2 years now. I sold the factory wheels and tires for what I paid the owner for everything($1000). I had visions of adapting the upper part of the intake from a 5.4 mod motor and the lower part of a 4.6 mod motor. Plans were scrapped before they even started and now I'm sitting on the stuff.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is it just brackets,calipers pretty much?

No. It requires major non returnable modifications to the spindle. If you look at your spindle/caliper, youll notice that the caliper mounting area is in the way of the Vette calliper. This is why its so hard (and also expensive) to do the big brake thing on our vehicles.

But I'm working on it......

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No. It requires major non returnable modifications to the spindle. If you look at your spindle/caliper, youll notice that the caliper mounting area is in the way of the Vette calliper. This is why its so hard (and also expensive) to do the big brake thing on our vehicles.

But I'm working on it......

This why most aftermarket big brake manufacterers offer a modified spindle for these trucks with their kits. Some even come pre-assembled. Undo the brake lines, seperate the ball joints from the old spindle, replace with the new spindle/rotor/caliper assembly, hook up the brake lines, & bleed. Double up on the Poly-Grip & take her for a burn.

Oh yea...there's something about tie rod ends that have to disconnected/re-connected somewhere in that procedure.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Why not just upgrade to the 2500/3500 series calipers. They have pistons that are something like 20% larger. Bolt on.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, but theres nothing like having a 13" rotor with a big red Corvette caliper behind a set of 20s...

Especially if you can do it (relatively) inexpensively.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Why not just upgrade to the 2500/3500 series calipers. They have pistons that are something like 20% larger. Bolt on.

I think he is wanting something that looks cool, not so much as perform better.

2smokey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i didnt even know that they made a new spindle.iv never seen that.iv seen the brake kits but i was also trying to save myself 1000 bucks by going to the junkyard and getting calipers and a booster off a vette.thats all i wasnt doing it to look cool.i have to 24's on my truck and i need better stopping.im not like these idiots out here that put these huge wheels on cars and then dont upgrade the brakes its stupid

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Theres a nasty rumor that I have been chasing for a while that the NBS spindles can be used on an OBS with a little modification. So far, I havent been able to verify this. But if it could be done, it also appears that the Vette hub would bolt right up to it bringing it back to 5 lug-quite easy to modify to 5 on 5 from there. and with am Impala rotor (up to 15") youve got a big brake option that works well too. Its known that the Vette calipers will work on rotors up to 15", so it seems doable.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Wheel size is irrelevant in brake operation. Putting 24s on only means you have to run a 20-25 aspect ratio instead of the 70-75 that you need with a 15-16" wheel. I'm all for upgrading brakes, I think it is the single most important part of a truck. Bigger brakes means better heat dissipation which is huge when towing. But bigger brakes does not, by any stretch of the imagination, decrease stopping distance. If the brakes on a vehicle have the ability to lock up the wheels(as all of them do) then the tires can not use any more stopping power. Upgrading pads and brake lines are the most effective way to smooth out your stops and get a firmer and more direct pedal feel.