Home brew CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like your mind is already made up, no need for me to quote the tests done that show the paper crap blocks more air and not more debris ;) You read the Fram brochure didn't ya? Tell me why all the auto manufacturers are now going to the "oiled crap" if the paper filters are better? No point in spreading OPINIONS on here. Don't you remember the Z-Max ads? Standard household bleach performed better than oil. Wanna run that in your truck?

Edit- Ah you have a TB spacer. Don't really need to argue with ya anymore :)

It is made up because I do my homework, tell me what GM truck runs a factory oiled filter? none do, and tell me what GM truck is starved from low end useable HP from the stock intake? none are. Paper filters way better hands down and dollar for dollar is the best bet, yes oiled ones will filter well if properly oiled, but no one knows how to do it perfect like they say. And yes I do it was my first mod as a TBI is a wet injection system and responds well to the spacer along with all my other mods, no I haven't dyno'ed it but it deffinately was one of the worth while mods. I run nothing that Fram makes, but I bet that paper filters are only made by a few companies. The oiled filters do not filter as well when they are dirty and who is to know when they get to dirty and aren't as effecient as they claim? Are you going ot test it and check flow ratings and how well it filters every few thousand miles?

jb034

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
where did you run those tubes to? and where did you get them??

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
where did you run those tubes to? and where did you get them??
It is actually two tubes connected. The ones on each side of the radiator are from a S10 or S Blazer with TBI. The tubes that connect to them & go to the air filter housing are for a 88 full size with a v6. I cut a hole on each side of the radiator.

It does make a differance at higher speeds. My buddy had a truck excatly like mine. Same year, king cab, same gears, ect. before I did this mod when we raced it was always whoever had the better reaction off the line. After I did this I beat him everytime at the big end. I would not pay much attention to tempted. It seems his mind is made up & closed.

Last edited:

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
This will be my last post in reference to the topic. When a cotton filter is used, the oil retains the debris while still allowing a very high flow. When a paper filter is used the debris just hangs out on the outside of the paper and blocks the pores. If someone can't properly oil their filters then chances are they need not even pop the hood. There is a filter cleaning spray and the bottle of oil. Just soak the filter in the cleaner, wash it off and apply the oil to the OUTSIDE of the filter. So if nobody can figure that out, we have a major problem. To attempt to claim that an oiled filter doesn't perform well when dirty is just plain laughable. No filter, no matter the material, is going to perform as well dirty as it is clean! Who is to know when they are dirty??????? The same people who know when a paper filter is dirty!

This is from Ford's site.
•Oil-treated filters have at least twice the capacity of non-oil-treated filters
•Available filters are primarily oiled

Since GM doesn't sell much for air filters(only one is an oiled cotton piece) of course you won't find them. I ask you and anyone else who really cares, when is the last time you heard of a catastrophic failure due to an upgraded air filter? Again, this is turning into a rediculous argument so this will be the last time I post here. Just understand that because you don't want to spend the extra money on a filter doesn't mean you should start shouting about something you don't have much experience with. I've been running oiled filters for the last 200k miles on my 94 Sierra. Let me rephrase that. I have ran a single oiled cotton filter on my 94 for the last 200k. Since these filters are designed to be cleaned and re-installed there is no need to ever buy another. It isn't a debate as to which allows more air flow, we all know that oiled filters, by a long shot, are better breathing units. The only thing you are going by is that someone told you they allowed debris to enter your engine. That is false. There are far more pieces of debris entering the engine from the fuel system than any air filter would allow. All kinds of grit, dirt and rust particles are pushed through every time you start the engine. I'll gladly take my much better breathing oiled filter, and the improved power to go with it, over a less expensive paper filter. And I think that if you asked around, anyone who has ever had one will have nothing bad to say about them other than they open the intake up and cause more in cab noise. I've ran many, many trails and mud holes in my off road vehicles, all of which had oiled filters on them, and never had a failure. And that is with mud, water and dust literally caking them. This is a good thing for people to hear, they get both sides of the story. If I get a chance I'll toss the stock air cleaner assembly back on and get a dyno run, then the oiled filter and do the same. Last time I dynoed the truck it was right at 190hp to the wheels.

jb034

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is actually two tubes connected. The ones on each side of the radiator are from a S10 or S Blazer with TBI. The tubes that connect to them & go to the air filter housing are for a 88 full size with a v6. I cut a hole on each side of the radiator.

It does make a differance at higher speeds. My buddy had a truck excatly like mine. Same year, king cab, same gears, ect. before I did this mod when we raced it was always whoever had the better reaction off the line. After I did this I beat him everytime at the big end. I would pay much attention to tempted. It seems his mind is made up & closed.

Can you get pix of where you cut holes in the radiator?? i wana do this soo badly

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, its not hard to do. Just take your time with the cutter.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This will be my last post in reference to the topic. When a cotton filter is used, the oil retains the debris while still allowing a very high flow. When a paper filter is used the debris just hangs out on the outside of the paper and blocks the pores. If someone can't properly oil their filters then chances are they need not even pop the hood. There is a filter cleaning spray and the bottle of oil. Just soak the filter in the cleaner, wash it off and apply the oil to the OUTSIDE of the filter. So if nobody can figure that out, we have a major problem. To attempt to claim that an oiled filter doesn't perform well when dirty is just plain laughable. No filter, no matter the material, is going to perform as well dirty as it is clean! Who is to know when they are dirty??????? The same people who know when a paper filter is dirty!

This is from Ford's site.
•Oil-treated filters have at least twice the capacity of non-oil-treated filters
•Available filters are primarily oiled

Since GM doesn't sell much for air filters(only one is an oiled cotton piece) of course you won't find them. I ask you and anyone else who really cares, when is the last time you heard of a catastrophic failure due to an upgraded air filter? Again, this is turning into a rediculous argument so this will be the last time I post here. Just understand that because you don't want to spend the extra money on a filter doesn't mean you should start shouting about something you don't have much experience with. I've been running oiled filters for the last 200k miles on my 94 Sierra. Let me rephrase that. I have ran a single oiled cotton filter on my 94 for the last 200k. Since these filters are designed to be cleaned and re-installed there is no need to ever buy another. It isn't a debate as to which allows more air flow, we all know that oiled filters, by a long shot, are better breathing units. The only thing you are going by is that someone told you they allowed debris to enter your engine. That is false. There are far more pieces of debris entering the engine from the fuel system than any air filter would allow. All kinds of grit, dirt and rust particles are pushed through every time you start the engine. I'll gladly take my much better breathing oiled filter, and the improved power to go with it, over a less expensive paper filter. And I think that if you asked around, anyone who has ever had one will have nothing bad to say about them other than they open the intake up and cause more in cab noise. I've ran many, many trails and mud holes in my off road vehicles, all of which had oiled filters on them, and never had a failure. And that is with mud, water and dust literally caking them. This is a good thing for people to hear, they get both sides of the story. If I get a chance I'll toss the stock air cleaner assembly back on and get a dyno run, then the oiled filter and do the same. Last time I dynoed the truck it was right at 190hp to the wheels.

Well we all drive GM's here not Fords, so fail on that, and that is great you have ran one for 200K, I have ran three different setups with oiled and paper and can say oiled sucked and was not any better, and if you really think you are gaining any HP or TQ at any useable RPM or DD situations then you are the ones that K&N targett to sell their crap.