Stalling while driving, struggles to start again, diesels when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gage_88_obs

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
hi, first post here and probably one of my last. 350sbc 700r4. The truck has been a pain since I got it. The most recent litany of issues includes, intermittent stalling at low rpm, consistent stalling at low rpm on hills, occasional refusal to start when cold, hard to restart when it stalls, rough idle, hard shifting up and down.

When its warm it will diesel when it stalls, sometimes enough to kick the motor back on

The only way i can keep it from dying is having the rpms up high

Steps to fix
New iac
New Delco sparkplug
New throttle position sensor
New coolant temperature sensor
New Air cleaner
New pcv
Lots of seafoam
New egr
New egr solenoid
New valve cover gaskets (it needed it anyways)
Fresh oil change
Fresh Delco oil filter
K&n Fuel filter
Lots of cosmetic work

At this point I'm at a loss, the only thing I can think at this point is either the pcm is toast or a bad distributor (pickup, icm, cap, rotor, or the whole distributor)

The only sensor I haven't replaced is the map sensor

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm planning on selling the truck once my 5.0 swapped ranger gets its montana plates, but I have to try and get to work for the next week while I wait for them to come through, and running right would make its resale value higher.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Shame to sell it, looks like a nice truck! But I understand totally your frustrations.

gage_88_obs

Reaction score
Shame to sell it, looks like a nice truck! But I understand totally your frustrations.
Ya, these trucks are the best looking gm trucks that have been made, but I unfortunately can't afford insurance and gas for 2 trucks, plus, my state is weird about engine swaps so putting a Ls in it to get rid of the issues is not a great option

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Key on,injectors unplugged,can you see any fuel dripping from the injectors? May need to cycle key on and off a couple times to initiate the pump prime. I'm thinking maybe an injector not shutting off or blown injector o-ring.
I'm guessing you've checked out the MAP hose for splits?

gage_88_obs

Reaction score
Key on,injectors unplugged,can you see any fuel dripping from the injectors? May need to cycle key on and off a couple times to initiate the pump prime. I'm thinking maybe an injector not shutting off or blown injector o-ring.
I'm guessing you've checked out the MAP hose for splits?
Ok, I've checked the injectors over and it's the consistent cone with no visible leaks all though I haven't had the time to go through and pull it apart and check everything. I've replaced the map, it still dies but it's less consistent and less frequent, its now easier to get restarted when it does die. I checked the vaccum lines for cracks and leaks and haven't found anything. I picked up a new ignition coil since the old one looks pretty rough. I'm planning on installing it tonight.