Need help stalling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 96 gmc c2500 5.7 vortec and I’m having a random stalling issue, truck runs great but completely out of no where it stalls, I’ve noticed right before it stalls my tach starts dancing between 0 and 1500 rpm and then stalls, if I give it gas when it does this is sometimes goes away, sometimes it just runs but has a horrible misfire then stalls, I actually had it once where I thought I was gonna see a rod out the block it popped that loud (my guess is it misfired on the cylinder I have an broken manifold stud on) but once it stalls it typically starts right back up in a couple minutes, I tried to diagnose it one time when it stalled on me so I took out the plug to test for spark and then abra cadabra it ****** starts with 7 plugs in like I can’t find any rhyme or reason to it, there’s no codes, I’ve replaced the cap, rotor, wires, coil, crank and cam sensor, fuel filter and fuel pump my next guess is an ignition control module but I can only dump so much money into this thing til it starts to seem pointless since it just does it again, please help

Edit-it seems to do it more when it’s hot outside but still does it cold

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your battery terminals. The side posts have a habit of backing out and causing the electrical system to intermittently shut off.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed right before it stalls my tach starts dancing between 0 and 1500 rpm and then stalls
This leads me to believe you're losing electrical power intermittently. I think you need to start chasing wires until you find the intermittent power feed.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clean all your grounds too.
I had intermittent stalls on my old 97 Suburban and it turned out to be the wiring harness to the fuel pump inside the tank.