'88 TBI Suburban - Engine Overhaul - Help me plot this out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ekulggats

Reaction score
Can you do a roller cam conversion with the motor still in the vehicle?

Anyone have reccomendations for a mild flat tappet cam, or would you only do a cam mod if I went roller? If so whats a good mild roller cam.

If anyone has experience putting vortec heads on a TBI what needs to be done to accomodate the swap?

I am looking for torque, from what I understand the stock flow patterns and cam are too restrictive even to be best for low end torque

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Anyone have reccomendations for a mild flat tappet cam, or would you only do a cam mod if I went roller? If so whats a good mild roller cam.

If anyone has experience putting vortec heads on a TBI what needs to be done to accomodate the swap?

I am looking for torque, from what I understand the stock flow patterns and cam are too restrictive even to be best for low end torque
To do a cam conversion you could do it with the engine still in the vehicle. Many of those early TBI engines had the provisions in the block for a roller cam. Mine did anyhow. If that is the case just get the parts from an L31. Otherwise you will need conversion lifters. You will need to remove the grill and radiator to get the cam out. If you were also replacing the heads it may just be easier to pull the engine at that point. I have done it both ways.

If going with vortec heads you will need a different intake due to the angle of the face on the head that mates to the intake being different.

Honestly I find the tbi engines make decent torque lower I. The power band. But they drop off after 28-2900 rpm’s. Vortec heads should be an improvement across the board especially above that rpm. If torque is the goal keep that in mind when choosing a cam.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not all an expert, but I had planned to swap to vortec heads with a aftermarket intake. Sniper EFI or Aces Killshot with a mild cam with roller lifters if i have the provisions. New fuel pump and possibly fuel lines. Once again I know NOTHING of doing this. Just making a plan for when the engine goes and time to rebuild with the son. Its a 2006 Goodwrench 350 TBI. Wires are in terrible shape so i think swapping to aftermarket standalone EFI will be easier/healthier than repairing the current deteriorated engine harness. I think i priced it all to around $4000. I would LS, but like I said I know nothing about engine swaps and I prefer the electrical stuff to be minimal especially doing it myself.

Sweet looking truck @ekulggats

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice sub. Roller cam and long tube headers would be where I would start. Before I did an ls swap I would swap a 454 or better yet an 8.1

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were to do a cam, what might be a mild - mild+cam I should look at? I have considering putting the Vortec heads on - The TBI cam is apparently notorious for being the sh!ttest cam that came in any small block -

How difficult is it to swap to rollers? Would valve springs be needed to get to an L31 ish spec?
The TBI cam isn't even .400 lift, and the heads aren't any better. If you want a mild bump in power you can port the heads, but at a certain point you're polishing a turd.

Always put new springs in a fresh build. If a rocker arm breaks or a pushrod bends you get a misfire. If a spring breaks you wreck the valve and piston.

If you want to spend $500 on retrofit lifters, you can drop them in place of the flat-tappet lifters.

If you want to spend $40 on all the stock roller lifter stuff out of a junkyard motor, you'll have to drill and tap the oil gallery in the center of the lifter valley and install some allthread to fit the stock spider. If you're careful you can probably drill it without yanking the engine, but I wouldn't trust that metal shavings don't end up in the oil passage.

A few years back I started a sticky on the differences. Be sure and read through it, because there are a lot of changes that I didn't get all in the first post.

I put Vortec heads on a late non-Vortec block that had 4-bolt mains and roller provisions. I used a Summit Racing carbed Vortec-style intake with a squarebore-to-spreadbore adapter with a TBI adapter plate on top of that. The TBI barrels are wider than a squarebore opening, but slightly smaller than a spreadbore opening. After failing to get the TBI to handle my larger cam I eventually went with a Holley Sniper.

You must be registered for see images attach

I absolutely recommend to drill the coolant bypass holes in the Vortec heads so that they're drop-on compatible with the TBI cooling system. If you don't do this you will need to run the Vortec water pump, which means re-routing the heater hoses. It's a pain in the butt. Really, only the passenger head needs the hole, but if you ever have the heads off again and get them crossed up you'll be fighting weird overheating spikes.

If going with vortec heads you will need a different intake due to the angle of the face on the head that mates to the intake being different.
Sorry, but the mating surface is the same. The bolt angles are different. The ports are taller, so even if you find a way to clamp the intake down the TBI intakes don't fit. The picture below is an intake mocked up on a block with a TBI head on the left and a Vortec on the right.

There's more that I'm forgetting. Be aware that the Vortec timing chains are different, you'll need a cam button, and ?? There's a reason I started the sticky.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you running the 383 with that cam with the stock tune? I am guessing not. If the OP was willing to buy the tools to burn chips and learn the tuning then I would say go for heads and cam.
I just saw your post - no, I'm running the EBL Flash-II with a WBO2 sensor. This way, I can run "Learn VE" on the EBL cruising all the way up to WOT with PE turned off. For the cam, I switched the valve springs, on my Summit Racing aluminum heads, to Comp Cams' 986-16 along with locators, shims, and retainers. These double springs are rated up to .540" lift with 322 LBS/Inch and 132 Seat Pressure. Here's the difference between the "Flat Tappet Spring" and "Roller"

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my TBI bored out and had Brian reprogram my ECM, The power increase was awsome!!
I did that at first but his chip left a lot on the table. I was able to get close to 2 seconds on 0-60 and 1/4 with the "Data Log, Tune, Data Log, Tune, rinse and repeat" method.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check out https://harristuning.com/. Brian is great to work with, Get yourself a pair of Vortec heads and some long tube headers. I had my TBI bored out and had Brian reprogram my ECM, The power increase was awsome!!

TBIChips/Harris Performance has a pretty poor reputation around here. As PlayingWithTBI mentioned, multiple members here have been unimpressed to say the least.