Holley projection tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I got this Holly intake for 20 bucks. I’m running at 92K 1500 5.7. I pulled the motor out of a 95 same kind of truck. I’m going to rebuild a 95 to put into my 92 truck. I’m curious if anybody has any experience with this intake does it help? Is it crap? I know I’m going to have to modify some brackets but is it even worth the trouble or is it just garbage? For 20 bucks it was not a loss. The end result will be a summit racing 1102 cam, throttlebody spacer, possibly this intake, the ultimate TBI mods from this forum with the police car injectors, 1.6 ratio roller tip rockers, long tube headers, z28 springs in heads to go with cam, no catalytic converter‘s, and aluminum radiator with mechanical fan delete.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also I live in Spring Texas does anybody have any recommendations on machine shops?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I’m going to have to modify some brackets but is it even worth the trouble or is it just garbage?
WHICH Pro-Jection manifold? 300-66 or 300-49?
Not garbage. But even so, probably not worth the hassle.

...the ultimate TBI mods from this forum
I remain extremely skeptical of "the ultimate TBI mods". I suspect they're a total waste of time, effort, and enthusiasm.

...1.6 ratio roller tip rockers,
Either pay for "real" roller rockers or just use the stock-type with no rollers. And, of course, you'll need self-aligning rockers.

...no catalytic converter‘s,
Don't get me started.

...and aluminum radiator with mechanical fan delete.
As long as you remember that it takes a REAL electric fan--or two, and a proper shroud--to work as well as a properly-functioning fan and fan clutch. Mostly they're just trouble you pay extra for.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHICH Pro-Jection manifold? 300-66 or 300-49?
Not garbage. But even so, probably not worth the hassle.

I remain extremely skeptical of "the ultimate TBI mods". I suspect they're a total waste of time, effort, and enthusiasm.

Either pay for "real" roller rockers or just use the stock-type with no rollers. And, of course, you'll need self-aligning rockers.

Don't get me started.

As long as you remember that it takes a REAL electric fan--or two, and a proper shroud--to work as well as a properly-functioning fan and fan clutch. Mostly they're just trouble you pay extra for.
The radiator and fans are already done. I installed two big ones along with individual relays. Works great.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Notes: Fits Holley 2-barrel Pro-Jection units only." The manifold isn't for the stock TBI.

As far as TBI mods, I think there's some benefit, especially with the injector pod spacer, but if I want more power I'm just going to ditch the stock system. It's not worth it to me to spend hundreds of dollars to adjust a system that wheezes at anything more than 300hp.

Roller tips have no measureable affect over stamped rockers. Full rollers only affect performance over 5000 rpm. The only reason to upgrade from factory stamped rockers on a mild motor is because the stockers are actually about 1.47:1. If you're worried about that, get some self-aligning 1.6:1s.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Self aligning rockers aren't needed on tbi heads because they still have push rod slots that are narrow. Vortec heads have push rod holes instead and do require self aligning rockers.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Self aligning rockers aren't needed on tbi heads because they still have push rod slots that are narrow. Vortec heads have push rod holes instead and do require self aligning rockers.
The TBI service-replacement crate engine I had in my K1500 for ~20 years had self-aligning rockers.

GM must think they're needed.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Self aligning rockers aren't needed on tbi heads because they still have push rod slots that are narrow.

The TBI service-replacement crate engine I had in my K1500 for ~20 years had self-aligning rockers.

GM must think they're needed.

I thought with the stock heads (193) that the rockers would be self aligning as skylark noted. AFAIK the stock rockers are not self aligning, or am I incorrect???? If I am, then self aligning rockers are not needed.

Ken

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am planning on doing pretty much the same on my 94.
Summit cam, Holley intake a couple of other odd and ends.
I was thinking of getting the bored out throttle body( can't remember who offers them now) is it cfm thech ?