High mileage motor thicker oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best answer I give for when somebody questions me about a leak. :lol:
Here in the UP of MI any rust prevention is good lol, damn vehicles come from the dealer and not even 2 years old and crusty underneath already! I'm proud to have a 22 year old Yukon that's in awesome shape yet and a 23 year old z71 that just starting to show cancer but I'm getting body panels together and gonna get it back to pretty and solid!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm prouder to come back every year and rub in my 100% cancer free bolt rust free trucks. It would drive my younger self insane. Back then, I never knew not rusting was a thing.

Terrick down Under

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Down here my old girl has 430,000 kilometers on it, we range from -15C to 45C. I have been running 20W50 for 10 years, just starting to notice the wear now when towing over 5000#.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Down here my old girl has 430,000 kilometers on it, we range from -15C to 45C. I have been running 20W50 for 10 years, just starting to notice the wear now when towing over 5000#.

I'm guessing you don't see -15 much. That's stupid thick oil for the cold. Just because your truck doesn't blow up in 10 minutes doesn't mean you aren't causing unnecessary harm. Why would you want to run that thick of an oil?

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here in the UP of MI any rust prevention is good lol, damn vehicles come from the dealer and not even 2 years old and crusty underneath already! I'm proud to have a 22 year old Yukon that's in awesome shape yet and a 23 year old z71 that just starting to show cancer but I'm getting body panels together and gonna get it back to pretty and solid!

Here in MN, my last brand new truck was a 2013 F150. Going into its 3rd winter, the seams at the bottom of the doors were bubbling up. Making big payments on a truck that was already rusting - NEVER again!

Winter wins up here.

Reaction score
1. ZDDP "zinc and phosphorous" are way over-rated as anti-wear additives. This was deliberately induced by the cam companies twenty + years ago.

2. How does ZDDP poison a catalyst...unless the engine is an oil-burning pig?
It was introduced in ww2 for use in airplane engines, but ok.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was introduced in ww2 for use in airplane engines, but ok.
Yes, ZDDP has been in use since Fido was a pup. And it does do some good. But the idea that ZDDP is the beginning and the end and everything in-between, when it comes to wear reduction is false.

The cam companies sold ****** cam cores and ****** lifters that they sourced from China, and when they failed, they blamed the oil rather than the ****** parts they supplied. That way, they could refuse to warranty their defective, ****** parts.

And ever since, Mankind has been spreading the same incorrect "knowledge" in the hot-roddy magazines and on The Internet, that ZDDP in heavy concentrations, is "essential" to keeping an engine alive. Of course folks bought-into that lie. The Lie is based on The Government (specifically, the EPA) screwing We the People, and that happens so often that we're primed to believe anything that The Government does is contrary to our best interests.

There's a bunch of truths about ZDDP that folks should know. One of them is that used to excess, ZDDP CAUSES metal-surface failure by attacking the grain boundaries of the metal surface it comes in contact with.

Charlie Bryan

Reaction score
I did switch to Rotella 15W-40 in my 93’ with 292k on it. It was burning a lot of oil with an embarrassing amount of blue smoke out the exhaust with 5W-30. With the 15W-40 Rotella I’m burning 1/2 qt every 1,000 miles and I’m not seeing any blue smoke in my rear view at every stop sign anymore. Oil pressure is in line with what you’ve posted. I didn’t notice any pressure change with the different oil.
It also has phosphorus and manganese that others oils took out to save money. We need these for flat tapped cams and lifters. I buy wally mart brand for cheap price and good quality in my work truck with 350 k on it.
Waiting for warm weather to swap it out but use it every day Now.