High volume oil pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tac Map Mike

Reaction score
Hey there,

The previous owner of my 1989 Chevy 1500 replaced the cam and at the same time put a high volume oil pump in. I have the service ticket for it and it says not to trust the oil gauge on the dash.

When cold and driving it’s maxed out on the gauge but when warm at a light it drops quite low but judging by the service ticket they were not worried about it as their tests showed pressure throughout.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The previous owner of my 1989 Chevy 1500... ...put a high volume oil pump in. I have the service ticket for it and it says not to trust the oil gauge on the dash.
First Guess: You have a big "Fist-sized" oil pressure sending unit just above the oil filter. They're NOTORIOUS for inaccurate gauge readings. They can fail and show high pressure, they can fail and show low pressure, they can fail so that the gauge is "all over the place", and they can fail so that they leak. Sometimes, when you unscrew them, they're really heavy because they're full of oil. They're not hugely durable, my truck has had the original, plus three replacements.

Many parts-store catalogs show the WRONG REPLACEMENT PART. What they call for is too large, doesn't fit properly. The "correct" aftermarket sending unit has a green paint stripe on the end.

Correct sensor (with green stripe by hex end), incorrect sensor with NAPA part number, and the heat shield
You must be registered for see images attach

O'Reilly's BWD S4320 seems to be the correct one. It has a silver case, and green paint around the end with the electrical connector. The NAPA / Echlin crossover from that number is OP6729. AutoZone sells it as PS150, but verify all these part numbers before leaving the store.

I stumbled upon an aftermarket version of the heat shield. CarQuest doesn't have a photo, but the description sounds good. P/N S4049S.

My '88 K1500 5.7L does about the same for pressure readings, and has ever since the rebuild. However, this is with a "stock" oil pump.

About 13--15 psi hot idle in gear. I'd prefer more pressure, but not so much that I plan to do anything about it.

The next SBC I build will get a "big block" oil pump. Essentially the Melling M99HV-S kit, except I bought the pieces separately. Use with TBI/Vortec V6 or small-blocks requires trimming the windage tray.
www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-m99hvs

Last edited:

Tac Map Mike

Reaction score
First Guess: You have a big "Fist-sized" oil pressure sending unit just above the oil filter. They're NOTORIOUS for inaccurate gauge readings. They can fail and show high pressure, they can fail and show low pressure, they can fail so that the gauge is "all over the place", and they can fail so that they leak. Sometimes, when you unscrew them, they're really heavy because they're full of oil. They're not hugely durable, my truck has had the original, plus three replacements.

Many parts-store catalogs show the WRONG REPLACEMENT PART. What they call for is too large, doesn't fit properly. The "correct" aftermarket sending unit has a green paint stripe on the end.

Correct sensor (with green stripe by hex end), incorrect sensor with NAPA part number, and the heat shield
You must be registered for see images attach

O'Reilly's BWD S4320 seems to be the correct one. It has a silver case, and green paint around the end with the electrical connector. The NAPA / Echlin crossover from that number is OP6729. AutoZone sells it as PS150, but verify all these part numbers before leaving the store.

I stumbled upon an aftermarket version of the heat shield. CarQuest doesn't have a photo, but the description sounds good. P/N S4049S.

My '88 K1500 5.7L does about the same for pressure readings, and has ever since the rebuild. However, this is with a "stock" oil pump.

About 13--15 psi hot idle in gear. I'd prefer more pressure, but not so much that I plan to do anything about it.

The next SBC I build will get a "big block" oil pump. Essentially the Melling M99HV-S kit, except I bought the pieces separately. Use with TBI/Vortec V6 or small-blocks requires trimming the windage tray.
www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-m99hvs
Thank you! I will not worry about it for now then!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High volume pumps are great things providing you do the necessary steps to make the oil drain back to the bottom. I have seen pans go dry at high rpm's.