Hidden functions 88 OEM stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't on the newer CDMs. Only the older (88-90, maybe 91) models.
That's too bad. I wanted to give these hidden features a try!

Anyway, while I'm here, does anyone know how to turn off the Dolby-B NR for the tape player? It sounds like it's on when I listen to music from my phone via an adapter, but there seems to be no way of disabling it (every other car tape player I've seen (which admittedly isn't many) has a button for this purpose). Perhaps there's some undocumented disablement method or something?

c

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Like others said, I can't get the DNR to stay lit, but LD will. I've got a CDM from a '94, head unit from an '89. Equalizer style set up. I've got aftermarket Infinity plate 4x6's, and I wasn't impressed with how "LD" made them sound- wasn't what I was expecting like with home gear.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That's too bad. I wanted to give these hidden features a try!

Anyway, while I'm here, does anyone know how to turn off the Dolby-B NR for the tape player? It sounds like it's on when I listen to music from my phone via an adapter, but there seems to be no way of disabling it (every other car tape player I've seen (which admittedly isn't many) has a button for this purpose). Perhaps there's some undocumented disablement method or something?

c
Not if you have the three push-button style cassette deck. The 5-band EQ decks have a button to turn it off, but not those.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not if you have the three push-button style cassette deck. The 5-band EQ decks have a button to turn it off, but not those
I do have the 5-band EQ deck, but I don't see any Dolby NR buttons anywhere, only CrO2, Prog, Eject, Fwd, Seek, Rev, and Rept, unless there's some special, undocumented combination of two or more of these buttons that, when pressed together, toggles NR? EDIT: I just checked, and I can thus confirm that there's no mention whatsoever of tape NR in the owner's manual, let alone a method for toggling it on/off.

Perhaps this is incentive to get that aux input going!

c

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The CrO2 button is the Dolby NR feature, it's just not called that for some reason. Same effect tho. If the button light is on, it's activated.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really? Hmm... I guess it's just a lousy sounding deck, then.

I'll wire in the aux jack and see if that sounds any better.

c

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
The CrO2 button is the Dolby NR feature, it's just not called that for some reason. Same effect tho. If the button light is on, it's activated.

CrO2 (chromium oxide) changes the bias in the tape deck for Type II cassette tapes, which used more expensive chrome based tape vs the cheaper cassettes with iron based tape. Seems weird to me that it would work as a noise reduction because CrO2 tapes usually had better sound to noise ratios than normal ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backinwhite90

Reaction score
An update on this. I installed the 94 CDM unit with Bluetooth today. The 94 units have more output. I still have the 88 dash control unit. The hidden features still work, so it must have to do with the dash control.

How did you like the aftermarket cdm with bluetooth?