Help with lightly modified L31-R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davkenrem

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valves have been adjusted and she is running good. Need to do the 411 PCM swap to enable efans and compensate for cam and headers and fix the pinion angle. Sub zero weather does not help. Also just picked up an HP TUNER MVI2. Problem is my DLC port just stopped working couple of days before the tuner arrived. I was plugging my Bluetooth adapter in to the loose port (I know) and something sparked, didn't blow the fuse, pin 16 has 12v, so not sure what happened.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Valves have been adjusted and she is running good. Need to do the 411 PCM swap to enable efans and compensate for cam and headers and fix the pinion angle. Sub zero weather does not help. Also just picked up an HP TUNER MVI2. Problem is my DLC port just stopped working couple of days before the tuner arrived. I was plugging my Bluetooth adapter in to the loose port (I know) and something sparked, didn't blow the fuse, pin 16 has 12v, so not sure what happened.

So the running issue ended up being the rockers were too tight aka too much lifter preload? I bet that truck pulls well now with the fresh engine, the SPO cam and the Thorley headers.

davkenrem

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the running issue ended up being the rockers were too tight aka too much lifter preload? I bet that truck pulls well now with the fresh engine, the SPO cam and the Thorley headers.
It really does and sounds good accelerating. Slight lope at idle.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Have you reached out to Justin at Blackbear? I have been through HELL with my engine and issues. Justin has always been VERY helpful to me. I have the CC 08-501-8 (0.488 int./0.495 exh.). I sent my black box in and got it tuned twice so far (Once after engine build, second after gearing to correct speedo).

If you email him and tell him what your issue(s) is, he may be able to help you and give you input on the tune. Sounds like you have a mild build like me, so you should be fine with the black box as far as tuning the engine goes (obviously you want the 0411 also for the efans). I was actually thinking about doing the 0411 swap until I asked him about it. He said that for my setup, it would not be worth it since it is so mild, and he's done everything that can be done already. He knows his **** about the L31 and has helped me with all of my stupid questions that I've had. Just saying, may be worth a shot.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you reached out to Justin at Blackbear? I have been through HELL with my engine and issues. Justin has always been VERY helpful to me. I have the CC 08-501-8 (0.488 int./0.495 exh.). I sent my black box in and got it tuned twice so far (Once after engine build, second after gearing to correct speedo).

If you email him and tell him what your issue(s) is, he may be able to help you and give you input on the tune. Sounds like you have a mild build like me, so you should be fine with the black box as far as tuning the engine goes (obviously you want the 0411 also for the efans). I was actually thinking about doing the 0411 swap until I asked him about it. He said that for my setup, it would not be worth it since it is so mild, and he's done everything that can be done already. He knows his **** about the L31 and has helped me with all of my stupid questions that I've had. Just saying, may be worth a shot.

To me the 0411 is worth it on a bone stock engine with bolt ons.You can do the same exact thing in the tune and the truck with the 0411 will run better.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To me the 0411 is worth it on a bone stock engine with bolt ons.You can do the same exact thing in the tune and the truck with the 0411 will run better.

I don't doubt this, I just figured I'd ask a guy who's probably tuned 100's of GMT400s with and without the black box mod. Not saying he knows everything, but I guess if he tells me that I won't feel/notice any differences, I'm not going to plan on doing it anytime soon. I'm not knocking it by any means, as I know it's a far superior PCM compared to the black box. But for me, I just don't have the time right now to do it, especially if it's not going to make any difference. Maybe later on down the road when I do get time and am looking for something beneficial do do, I'll do it just to do it. He said that the ability to let the engine rev past 5800 (I think), and one other thing (that I can't remember because I can't find the damn email), is about the only thing I would benefit from, neither which would make much of a difference due to how mild my setup is.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't doubt this, I just figured I'd ask a guy who's probably tuned 100's of GMT400s with and without the black box mod. Not saying he knows everything, but I guess if he tells me that I won't feel/notice any differences, I'm not going to plan on doing it anytime soon. I'm not knocking it by any means, as I know it's a far superior PCM compared to the black box. But for me, I just don't have the time right now to do it, especially if it's not going to make any difference. Maybe later on down the road when I do get time and am looking for something beneficial do do, I'll do it just to do it. He said that the ability to let the engine rev past 5800 (I think), and one other thing (that I can't remember because I can't find the damn email), is about the only thing I would benefit from, neither which would make much of a difference due to how mild my setup is.

There are numerous advantages due to the advancement of the controller. The newest stock L31 tunes ran even better than the 0411 tunes. There are 5.7 tunes for the Blue/Green 03+ PCMs as well because GM used the 5.7 up until atleast 2006 in Mexico in the GMT800s.

I have tuned atleast 20 of these setups myself. Several of them on both the black box and the 0411. The engine is smoother and more responsive with the 0411. The 0411 is more refined overall. The transmission shifts better. The engine idles more stable with the 0411. The dual timing tables also allow you to have a tune that works well with both 93 octane and 87 octane. The 0411 also gives you the option for Tow/Haul, Electric fans as well as Highway Lean Cruise. A bone stock engine will run better with an 0411 than a Black Box. There is a reason GM went to them in the Express vans and later model S10s and Astros despite those models already being on the chopping block. Highway lean cruise was a 10% mileage increase in my heavy Express van on the highway running a leaner but still fairly conservative air/fuel ratio.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I will vouch for the 411. More adjustable, faster PCM, I swear it ran better untuned than the blackbox did tuned. It did cure my phantom knock that just would not go away on the blackbox as well.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are numerous advantages due to the advancement of the controller. The newest stock L31 tunes ran even better than the 0411 tunes. There are 5.7 tunes for the Blue/Green 03+ PCMs as well because GM used the 5.7 up until atleast 2006 in Mexico in the GMT800s.

I have tuned atleast 20 of these setups myself. Several of them on both the black box and the 0411. The engine is smoother and more responsive with the 0411. The 0411 is more refined overall. The transmission shifts better. The engine idles more stable with the 0411. The dual timing tables also allow you to have a tune that works well with both 93 octane and 87 octane. The 0411 also gives you the option for Tow/Haul, Electric fans as well as Highway Lean Cruise. A bone stock engine will run better with an 0411 than a Black Box. There is a reason GM went to them in the Express vans and later model S10s and Astros despite those models already being on the chopping block. Highway lean cruise was a 10% mileage increase in my heavy Express van on the highway running a leaner but still fairly conservative air/fuel ratio.

You have no clue what you're talking about!

Kidding of course. I always try to stay open minded... I haven't really heard many of the benefits of swapping to an 0411 in a stock injection (mild) L31s other than "It's easier to tune (software needed)," "Higher RPM limit," and "it's faster." I actually have a random misfire at idle, that's also one of the reasons that I have thought about swapping, even though I'm sure it won't do anything for me.

So, you're telling me that I could have it tuned so I could run both 87 and 93 with just the simple tap of one or the other octane buttons at the pump? I've never heard that before, but that alone may make it worth it to me to swap. I have BB's 91+ tune on it now, and although I don't really drive it enough to care, maybe I would drive it more if I didn't have to pay $0.80-$1.00 more per gallon on fill up. my #1 concern, and my reason for going the BB route was that I obviously did not want to have somebody do it that wasn't 100% sure of what they were doing, tuning it too lean, and having me waste all of my money that I way overspent anyways.

I guess maybe I'll look into doing the 0411 box sooner than later..... I guess it would only help.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No flip of the switch, it interpolates between a **** gas timing map and an optimized premium fuel timing map rather than simply pulling timing from the main map upon detection of knock.