Help with lightly modified L31-R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No flip of the switch, it interpolates between a **** gas timing map and an optimized premium fuel timing map rather than simply pulling timing from the main map upon detection of knock.

That's awesome. I ended up going full roller rockers also, so my top end is noisy. Upon my many chats with BB, he suggested I find an LT4 knock module since my knock module may be thinking the top end noise is really engine knock. However, I read about those and it seems to be a 50/50 shot if they work better or worse than the stock one. On top of that, they're not exactly cheap enough to just "try it out." Now I really want to do the 0411 swap. LOL

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, 411 has no knock module. I have Comp Pro Magnum 1.6:1 roller rockers and they're nice and quiet. What'd you go with?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have Scropion 1.7 non self aligning with guideplates and hardened pushrods. Mine are very quiet as well even with 150# seat and 375# open spring pressure.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with the CC 17001 aluminum 1.5 set . The guy who did all of the machining told me to stick with 1.5, and had suggested I get these and to stay away from Scorpion. These made my stock pushrods too short, so I got the magnum set that were the correct length (only after I bought the incorrect length off of ebay and could not return them. I'm stuck with them now). The rockers also were too tall for my valve covers, so I found a set that were the same style as stock, just taller. These also aren't self aligning, so I had to get guide plates. I learned a bunch of stuff during that escapade. I hadn't planned for any of it. Lesson learned. LOL

I didn't even know or think about the 0411 not having a knock module. Is that fine? Another stupid question... would I need to do anything about that?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with the CC 17001 aluminum 1.5 set . The guy who did all of the machining told me to stick with 1.5, and had suggested I get these and to stay away from Scorpion. These made my stock pushrods too short, so I got the magnum set that were the correct length (only after I bought the incorrect length off of ebay and could not return them. I'm stuck with them now). The rockers also were too tall for my valve covers, so I found a set that were the same style as stock, just taller. These also aren't self aligning, so I had to get guide plates. I learned a bunch of stuff during that escapade. I hadn't planned for any of it. Lesson learned. LOL

I didn't even know or think about the 0411 not having a knock module. Is that fine? Another stupid question... would I need to do anything about that?

Not sure why he is not a fan of the Scorpions. The part number I am running, 1026 are rated to something like 0.900" lift and 900 lbs open spring pressure.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure why he is not a fan of the Scorpions. The part number I am running, 1026 are rated to something like 0.900" lift and 900 lbs open spring pressure.

I have no clue either. I can't personally knock anything, because this is only my second non-stock v8. All I knew at the time was that he does this stuff for a living, and I'd probably have a better chance of getting a long life out of this engine if I just took his advice on everything. I did try to do my homework, but I guess all of the non-hands on research I did and could do probably wouldn't equal his real world experience. I really don't have any complaints about it, other than my barely noticeable misfire at idle. It clears right up when I take off though. I'm thinking a valvetrain issue or something, I've tested or had tested, everything else that could be causing it.

davkenrem

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well driving home last night I had a sudden loose of oil pressure, went right to zero, had it towed home. Pull it out on when it warms up and see what failed. Less than 200miles.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up going full roller rockers also, so my top end is noisy.
I really don't have any complaints about it, other than my barely noticeable misfire at idle. It clears right up when I take off though.
Sounds like your valve lash settings are wrong (unless you're running solid lifters), may be causing your misfire too. My full roller rockers are nice and quiet too.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like your valve lash settings are wrong (unless you're running solid lifters), may be causing your misfire too. My full roller rockers are nice and quiet too.

Well I had some OE Ford (Crane?) full 1.7 roller rockers on my 5.0 in my Crown Victoria. That was an HO bottom end with Explorer top end with stock HO cam and that valvetrain was always noisy. I tried longer pushrods and rocker shims and nothing seemed to shut it up. Measured lifter preload with a dial indicator on the lifter plunger. I think not all are created equal.