Help! Stripped distributer gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But once you pull the distributor
lol.... The pics of the distributor gear

Yeah, I'm just getting back so will try to get some better photos inside ...Taking a pic of the scope monitor is goofy as is the resolution..

One thing I did note when I installed my distributor after cleaning the lifters last month was the oil pump drive was much looser than I remember... I know it's not going anywhere but it is very wobbly....
And I'd like to know how to test for up and down play since this is an aftermarket motor.. Maybe it has been machined?I read this can affect the distributor seating? Wear pattern looks reasonable though.....???
I mean I can pull up and down where the rotor sits when the distributor is mounted but I read you're supposed to mount dizzy without gasket, tighten and check for up and down play.....but not from reluctor?

Thanks for the tip on using the scope to look at piston through spark plug hole to find tdc. I just saw that it for sure was at the top by rocking a bit, and the balancer was for sure at the mark at tdc....

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to run in after 1 minute to post this...wtf is this?
I was spelunking and happen to fall next to the oil pump drive.....distributor mounts above...at least I'm pretty sure that's where I went.....

I'll be back...

Attachments

• IMG20240418164338.jpg
    IMG20240418164338.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG20240418164330.jpg
    IMG20240418164330.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG20240418164322.jpg
    IMG20240418164322.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 17

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
weird....this scope camera has strange effects with the leds....Think an investment in a better one with recording would be worthwhile....

Looks like oil reflects as metal and diamonds.... pretty sure that is what's going on... Not sure why my truck has genitalia...

here's a video I tried to get of gear....while turning crank
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

another one
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Attachments

• IMG20240418165608.jpg
    IMG20240418165608.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20240418165604.jpg
    IMG20240418165604.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20240418165446.jpg
    IMG20240418165446.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20240418165443.jpg
    IMG20240418165443.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so the little cutout around the oil drive is from factory I'm guessing? Hard to tell depth. Is this why they say you need to make sure to have up and down play so the distributor doesn't bottom out in this area?

Attachments

• IMG20240418200814.jpg
    IMG20240418200814.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 7

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The distributor, oil pump driveshaft, and oil pump make up a three-piece column. That column expands and contracts with temperature, and the engine goes from ~ Forty below to ~250 above. If there isn't some clearance in the assembly, it binds-up which makes things difficult on the distributor thrust washer, and the oil pump cover.

Depending on how folks "shim up" the "excess clearance" between the distributor gear and the thrust washer, there may be no clearance in that column to begin with. At some point, the parts involved will grind themselves to death.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on how folks "shim up" the "excess clearance" between the distributor gear and the thrust washer, there may be no clearance in that column to begin with. At some point, the parts involved will grind themselves to death.

Thanks.
I'm unclear on how to check for this. I've read to bolt down the distributor without the gasket and make sure there is some up and down play. But I don't see any apart from when I grab the center shaft where the rotor goes...

I mean, all I have had is the gasket under the distributor. But knowing this is a crate motor I don't know if anything has changed that would require more of me apart from just dropping it in with the gasket.

I'm getting ready to put it back in now so will look into it...not sure if it's in manual?
I don't think I see anything that stands out from looking around with the scope. The weird little balled area below the oil pump shaft is strange and I can't tell 100% what everything is.
Not sure if this would be an area where ground up stuff would collect but I really believe all I'm seeing is textured metal with oil reflecting...
One day I'll make sense of it all. Today isn't that day...

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to run in after 1 minute to post this...wtf is this?
I was spelunking and happen to fall next to the oil pump drive.....distributor mounts above...at least I'm pretty sure that's where I went.....

I'll be back...

I've been pondering the photos you've posted in the vicinity of the cam/distributor gearing.
Although the low resolution images make it difficult to say for sure, it does look like there's
glitter residue below where these 2 gears mesh.

And I said earlier that *normally* the distributor gear wears first while the cam gear remains
in new condition. And if you think about it, you really want the replaceable gear on the distributor
to be ever so slightly softer than the non-serviceable gear ground into the cam core.

And this is what happens when you mesh the correct distributor gear with the camshaft. And since
this is a roller cam-equipped engine, unless the engine came with a brand new distributor from the
remanufacturer, no doubt the expectation was that the customer would install a Vortec distributor (or TBI dizzy
upgraded to a Vortec-style gear) that's compatible at a metallurgical level with the roller cam.

I know it's been awhile, but when this engine went into your '93 ~15 years ago, did this crate engine come with it's
own distributor, or was the old distributor from the original TBI engine installed into this engine?

IF the old TBI distributor was installed into this (Vortec style) roller cam engine, then we may have figured
out where the glitter in your oil is coming from. (Reply showing excess metallic glitter in engine oil. LINK to Reply #107)

Here's what John Lingenfelter said about this scenario back in the early '90s when the new steel core roller cams
were just coming out:

You must be registered for see images attach

Given the underlined sentence above, check out this comparison photo of a Melonized distributor gear versus the original cast iron gears that we
all grew up on:

You must be registered for see images attach

(credit: On All Cylinders article: Distributor Gear Compatibility: How to Choose Which Distributor Gear to Use - Short article - Recommended Reading)

Now to pull this all together and take all of your latest findings and try to turn them into a plan of attack.
I'm going to list a bunch of questions, and your answers will help determine the path from here.

1) In this reply back on March 7th you showed us oil drained from your engine that had that metallic
paint look to it. At the time we hadn't figured out that your 'TBI-era Yukon' wasn't running a flat tappet
cam that matched the one that it came off the assembly line with, so I was thinking that one or more
cam lobes and/or lifter bases had been worn away.

But once you started removing the roller lifters for inspection/cleaning and the pics of the intact cam lobes and lifter
rollers were posted, the mystery deepened. Except for piston rings, there aren't that many other places where magnetic
debris can be generated. If your roller cam engine ended up with the old TBI distributor (with the cast iron gear that's
incompatible with the roller cam) ...then the photos showing an unworn distributor gear but worn cam gear now makes
sense. And would also help to explain the glitter in yesterday's photos.

And IF the current engine oil is just as full of fine metallic debris as what you removed ~6 weeks ago, then this may
help to explain why your lifters aren't staying pumped up after shutdown. When you have this much metallic debris
showing in your oil the engine it came from is never as quiet as a fresh engine with clean oil and all factory clearances.

I don't want to be a Negative Ned, or on the other hand traffic in false hope, but the status quo is unsustainable.

We need to stop the generation of debris asap. Somehow get the debris out of the engine. Evaluate the current
health of the rings, bearings, oil pressure at hot idle and on the highway, and finally, careful measurement of
current oil consumption in how many miles per quart?

If we were neighbors, I could see this playing out a couple of different ways. At one extreme you need the truck
healthy sooner rather than later, and declare that after 15 years of service the engine in the engine bay has
finally crossed the finish line. You swap it out with a Jasper-level roller cam reman. And if the reman engine doesn't
come with a dizzy, put a Melonized gear on the dizzy you've got and away you go. Buy once, cry once, drive much.

At the other extreme you decide to just upgrade the distributor gear to a Melonized one, start changing the oil
every 1000 miles or so, roll the dice, and see what happens. In the land of unicorns & rainbows, the new dizzy gear
all but stops the cam gear wear, the engine oil eventually stops looking like metallic paint, the oil consumption
is within reason, and the hot engine oil pressure stays in the 10 lbs per 1000 rpm range. And best of all, with clean
oil the lifters quiet down, and no longer bleed down between trips.

* Or do you replace the dizzy gear AND a roller cam with a NOS factory takeout in new condition?
* Or do you replace those 2 items and add 16 new roller lifters to the tally?
* Or do you decide to pull the engine, strip it down, get it absolutely clean, hone/rering, fresh bearings,
oil pump, gaskets, etc? Where do you stop? Do you have the heads refreshed too?

There's some real calculus required to come up with the best answer for this scenario. On the one hand,
after 15 years of service this engine doesn't really owe you anything, and if the rest of the truck still has
plenty of life left in it, then maybe cutting clean and plugging in a new motor is the best answer? If you
do that, you really have to read the fine print and make sure that you don't run afoul of whatever warranty
requirements are in place that preserve your ability to make a claim if something were to go wrong post installation.

If all depends on how deep is your fleet, and just how bad your family needs the vehicle for essential transportation
versus performing double duty by providing you with something to hone your mechanic skills on?

There are probably as many well thought out opinions on this as there are members. No doubt there are those who would lower the
hood, turn up the radio, and just use it up until it fails to proceed. (Treat truck as replaceable old appliance.) Then there are others
who, for sentimental reasons, would decide to repair the truck instead of going out and looking at the cost of a new/newer
replacement.

Lot's to think about. Anything can be fixed, that's the easy part. The hard part is figuring what is the optimal
measured response to the problem at hand.

That's all I've got, but at least on the technical side of things we're starting to piece together what's really going
on with this clacky powerplant. And thanks to the borescope photos you've shared, I have upgraded my
personal borescope purchasing criteria from purchase to invest.

Wish I had better news to share. It's all fun and games until somebody gets the metallurgy all crossed up.
And unfurtunately, the newer the engine, the more fussy all this stuff becomes. Cam phasers and timing chain
kits can be breathtakingly spendy. :-(

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cam phasers and timing chain
kits can be breathtakingly spendy. :-(
Yeah I had tried to help my neighbor with his Superduty and pulled the chewed up cam position sensor after seeing the code. Still doesn't have his truck back and it's been several weeks. Mostly from shopping around to get the number down from $15k.

Will look over everything here and respond in a bit.
Thank you

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did this crate engine come with it's
own distributor, or was the old distributor from the original TBI engine installed into this engine?
I hijacked this thread starting with and, judging from my distributor, it has the melonized gear......atm...
but it's had other dizzy's installed in the past. Unknown more or less unfortunately. But Schurkey says he's under the impression that all TBI distributors came with melonized gears.
I've had my 93 Yukon for 10 years never thinking it was anything other than a stock crate motor. All parts, including distributors were purchased with this mindset.
I recently found out it has a roller cam and lifters.
Am I supposed to be thinking about the distributor?

And would also help to explain the glitter in yesterday's photos.
That's the confusing part. Depending on the angle of the scope's led output, there is no visible glitter. More like it's light reflecting off of the dappled finish of the areas. That strange area adjacent the oil pump driveshaft changed appearance as I was navigating around. the only place I couldn't get the scope to bend to look at was directly vertical under the oil pump shaft, but the rounded area's appearance definitely cleared up.

I have to head out but will look over more....
I'll be buttoning up the truck when I get back.
Cold adjusted everything last night to 1 turn past zero...
Thinking 1.5 turns may be in the future since these aren't obviously stock as in GM manual flat tappet instructions...
Don't worry, obviously I'm going to weigh heavily everything you've said....
Just need to get for a bit...
Thank you again!!!!....

edit.. waiting for repair guy so have tome to play on phone...

if it's any clue, my oil didn't become glittery until recently.
or I didn't pay enough attention to my oil's appearance until recently.
But I'm usually pretty curious and a creature of habit so oddities have usually jumped out.

strange engine bay rattling when letting off gas at lower speeds that disappeared after doing intake gaskets and goofing with lifter preload.... switching to synthetic... running rislone...all recent events over several months that coincide with my seeing the oil streaks....
just noting this for no particular reason...

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF the old TBI distributor was installed into this (Vortec style) roller cam engine, then we may have figured out where the glitter in your oil is coming from...

...If your roller cam engine ended up with the old TBI distributor (with the cast iron gear that's incompatible with the roller cam)
Schurkey says he's under the impression that all TBI distributors came with melonized gears.
Some time around Y2K, I popped the original (flat-tappet) engine in my '88 K1500 5.7L. I ordered a "service replacement" 90--92 5.7L Caprice/Roadmaster TBI engine (roller cam) from Pace Performance. I also ordered a Melonized distributor gear, recommended by their Parts department. The engine and gear show up, and of course the gear is intended for the older, .491 distributor shafts--not the ~.429 distributor shafts of the TBI and Vortec distributors.

So I call Pace again, and after a couple minutes of research, the guy says that all TBI distributors have Melonized gears, and that my original distributor will be completely acceptable if the gear isn't already worn. I crammed the original TBI distributor into the Caprice long-block. Eighteen years later, that engine pops a head gasket. I freshen-up a Vortec short-block, and reuse that same distributor. Sometime shortly thereafter, that distributor failed the pickup coil or module, I merely replaced it with another well-used distributor I had on the shelf. Several years later...still working.

So while my evidence is not conclusive, and relies on only two samples, I'm reasonably confident that TBI distributor gears are perfectly suitable for use with steel-core cams provided the gear doesn't already have excessive wear from dirty oil or a million miles.

For the record, "Melonizing" is just a coating applied to the cast-iron distributor gear, it's about a thousandth of an inch thick, maybe less.