1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what oil filter are you running? what weight oil?
Some generic costco synthetic 5w30 mixed with a quart and a half of generic costco synthetic 5w40 I had here that a neighbor had given me and a quart of rislone..... and an STP extended life filter...
fwiw I had been running cheap stp 10w30 high mileage forever until the oil change prior to me doing intake gaskets and messing with valves a few weeks ago......I did Penzoil 5w30 synthetic with stp extended filter just before the intake gasket job...then changed oil with this generic stuff this past weekend just to get rid of anything from the gasket job that may have been in there....and oil was pretty dirty just after those 2 weeks of driving....

I'm so going backwards now...

I'm really freaking out..lol

I tried 3/4 turn preload and it felt kinda missy...and was a little noisy... Was going to just turn it back to 1/2 preload but decided to loosen back to 1/4 preload ...But get this constant nightmare on passenger side bank.....I think it's louder closer to the plugs but not sure....have to go at it in the am...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got a screenshot of a video I took before removing the intake and it shows the thread count above rocker nut looking like around 5 or 6 ish... That's a pretty good amount from where I'm at atm....guess that makes sense a little since I had to loosen quite a bit when I was trying to find zero lash running?
If I were to try an adjustment cold, which I'm not wanting to, apart from practice to see where I end up maybe, don't the lifters bleed down or something so I won't really have a good shot at getting anything meaningful?

All I know is that I feel pretty good I have zero lash plus 1/4 turn right now and there's only a couple of threads showing... And it's chatty catty...at least on passenger side afaik... Didn't get a chance to marvel at how messed up it was and study because it was getting too late to be making noise...

But 3/4 past zero seemed like it was going downhill from where I wanted to be,maybe hints of being a little stumbly, missy..., but even that wasn't as many threads showing as where it started .....
very confusing...

Attachments

• threads before a.jpg
    threads before a.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 2

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put the cold motor at #1 compression tdc...

#2 exhaust , #2 intake and #4 exhaust are loose ...not even at zero lash.....

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So trying Schurkey's method, #1 seemed ok...#3 intake sure took a lot to get to loose.I'm guessing this will be one of the loose ones when I go 180?Also, the up down method is hard for me to tell if I'm right because the arm is so loose. I know I'm looking for clearance at the push rod to rocker but can I use the plunger/spring clearance to verify? Hope this makes sense...

Attachments

• IMG20240307101845.jpg
    IMG20240307101845.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20240307102006_01.jpg
    IMG20240307102006_01.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20240307102008_01.jpg
    IMG20240307102008_01.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did the Schurkey method and went a half turn.... Truck fired up but still things clattered for a couple of minutes...then things quieted up....pretty good.....thread counts look similar to where I was before when things were sounding good but still tapping at startup after sitting...

I shut down and restarted truck after 10 seconds and it was quiet....
Thinking about maybe trying the quart of transmission fluid thing, drive it to the parts store, and get some oil and filter and drive back to change it?

I may try another 1/4 turn just to see how it feels and sounds... TBH, I'm not sure I was even at zero lash before turning but, feel I'm surely in the ballpark..Need to look at my thread pics from this go around and compare to my running adjustment ones...I think I took those after 1/2 turn as well...

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried 1/4 turn more which should have put me at 3/4 turn total. Truck started with no tapping... Idled worse though...Could see little misses translate to the dash oil gauge... 10 psi or less... Just felt bumpier for sure... Pretty quiet though...hmmm

My 02 is a bit bumpy but seems to be working right and idk if it's bumpy because of the idle....

I may back off the turn 1/8 just to see...definitely not digging how it feels...It's almost like my old girl is back....but a bit worse...those phantom misses were there but not as often but maybe it's something else....something new...

Threads showing above rocker nut were very similar if not the same doing the hot running adjustment and after doing Schurkey's way which was neat to see... Schurkey's method seemed to show more consistent threads when I compared the video to my screenshots but I have not done the double blind ABX testing with pictures yet....

edit...just added passenger bank pics to show what I got with Schurkey's method at 3/4 turn and what the hot running was at 1/2 turn the other day...
I had set Schurkey's method at half but added 1/8 to 3/16 turns 2 different times to get 3/4 ish.......

edit...backed of about 3/16 turn...Truck started ...no noise...still a bit bumpy in idle...Spark advance jumpy in scanner... everything in between 14 to 20....usually sits around 19...blm is 112 at idle...
hmm...

seems to rev good..when I let off, it'll do a tiny stumble right before it settles back in to idle and the oil pressure drops maybe 5 or 10 psi for that split second.....

Attachments

• 93 yukon after schurkey plus or minus march 7 2024.jpg
    93 yukon after schurkey plus or minus march 7 2024.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Decided to go to Oreily's and get a Wix oil filter and some new oil. Grabbed some Royal Purple 10W30 that was on sale...
The truck tapped for 20 seconds when I started it up to leave Oreily's...

Came home and changed the oil.. Started it up...Tapped a few times....
Then pulled the oil container from under the truck...:(

Someone please tell me rislone makes oil look funky and I don't need to drop my oil pan.. This is only a couple of days after fresh oil, filter and some rislone.....with barely any driving...Just test drive maybe 5 or 10 miles 2 or 3 times....

I was thinking it was maybe contamination from my tub but, I was able to drip a little from the oil filter, wish I hadn't dumped it already, and I'm pretty sure I can see the same effect....

My intake gaskets leaking coolant? Mark in overflow seemed at hot mark when I checked. I keep forgetting to look right away but it was just below the hot mark, maybe 3/16 to 1/4" below hot mark after 15 minutes of sitting.... Will make that my next priority to keep an eye on...really hoping it's that rislone...

Attachments

• IMG20240307213008.jpg
    IMG20240307213008.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One last thing. Ticky lifters are discussed a *lot* by the LS motor guys. Interestingly, not only
does the LS motors share the same 4.400" cylinder bore spacing as the 1st-Gen SBC, they also
happen to share the same lifter diameter: 0.842". And there are those who actually run the
current LS7 lifters in roller-equipped GMT400-era SBCs.
in my truck specifically, if ending up in a scenario that warranted it ,I would need a new type of cam (roller) and could run something like these? Sorry if that's obvious. Trying to put names to faces with some terms I've heard.

But back to the visual inspection. If I were to look at them all and find 1 or 2 damaged lifters, the chances of the cam lobes being goofy are high enough to be thinking of replacing the cam and all lifters?
What if the cam looked good? All lifters that look and tested good go back to their original spots and new lifters (Delphi)? can replace the damaged ones? Or better, new lifters can be used with the existing cam if not damaged

I'm pretty sure I'm seeing metal particles in my oil from changing last night. My tubs are so contaminated that I can't be sure how bad but, peeking down the oil filter with a light and layering my 1.25 and 2.75 readers..lol...I can see something glittery in the small amount of oil when really focusing. My optivisor 10x are a bit too bulky I'd imagine.
I've read that the oil filters themselves can shed aluminum but, the look of the tub I dumped oil into has me doubting that is the case.

I plan to cut the filter open in a while once I can make some noise to see if I can find anything.

Assuming I do, I obviously need to start planning my next move. Hoping that the engine treatment is just cleaning off stuck stuff that happens to look suspicious would be nice but, the intake gaskets are coming off as soon as I can get to them and, I'm guessing that is the time to dig deeper. I need to start reading up and learn about valve removal and all that....

I'm obviously a fan of keeping things going and do get satisfaction from doing the minimal necessary to do this but, time is very valuable and if I'm understanding right and a new cam and lifters is an option, in my hasty opinion atm it sounds like my focus should be directed there at least to some degree?
Hope I'm making sense...

This thread is like the opposite of people talking over each other..
Like dumping years of coins in a pile to grab all of the quarters first, and going back to make sure you actually did get all of them and finding several more ... and a few Susan Bs

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't see any metal pieces in the oil filter when I took it apart... Some bits of black I guess carbon that smeared when I pushed it...there was some gritty stuff in the loose oil in the bottom of the (rustyish? Nice STP Premium?...) can after I pulled the filter out but I didn't see any shiny stuff. Well, apart from that swirly looking stuff. I do think it's the beginning phases of something.?but really don't know...
I also still had the oil from the change on Saturday? I think it was Saturday. But again, my container wasn't exactly clean. That oil had several hundred miles on it. It has the slightest hint of what could be swirls but nothing I would have noticed had I not been looking. And again, the container was contaminated
I used a cutoff wheel to take top off the oil filter so there's that....

I just started the truck that has been sitting flat in the garage all night and it tapped a quick 2 seconds, how ever many taps that is but not very loud . That's definitely a better direction than driving it 10 miles to Oreilly's last night to get oil, and starting it 10 minutes later in the parking lot and it ticking loud for at least a minute.....

I'm going to take the truck out today for a bit and see how it goes.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in my truck specifically, if ending up in a scenario that warranted it ,I would need a new type of cam (roller) and could run something like these? Sorry if that's obvious. Trying to put names to faces with some terms I've heard.

But back to the visual inspection. If I were to look at them all and find 1 or 2 damaged lifters, the chances of the cam lobes being goofy are high enough to be thinking of replacing the cam and all lifters?
What if the cam looked good? All lifters that look and tested good go back to their original spots and new lifters (Delphi)? can replace the damaged ones? Or better, new lifters can be used with the existing cam if not damaged

I'm pretty sure I'm seeing metal particles in my oil from changing last night. My tubs are so contaminated that I can't be sure how bad but, peeking down the oil filter with a light and layering my 1.25 and 2.75 readers..lol...I can see something glittery in the small amount of oil when really focusing. My optivisor 10x are a bit too bulky I'd imagine.
I've read that the oil filters themselves can shed aluminum but, the look of the tub I dumped oil into has me doubting that is the case.

I plan to cut the filter open in a while once I can make some noise to see if I can find anything.

Assuming I do, I obviously need to start planning my next move. Hoping that the engine treatment is just cleaning off stuck stuff that happens to look suspicious would be nice but, the intake gaskets are coming off as soon as I can get to them and, I'm guessing that is the time to dig deeper. I need to start reading up and learn about valve removal and all that....

I'm obviously a fan of keeping things going and do get satisfaction from doing the minimal necessary to do this but, time is very valuable and if I'm understanding right and a new cam and lifters is an option, in my hasty opinion atm it sounds like my focus should be directed there at least to some degree?
Hope I'm making sense...

This thread is like the opposite of people talking over each other..
Like dumping years of coins in a pile to grab all of the quarters first, and going back to make sure you actually did get all of them and finding several more ... and a few Susan Bs

Good morning Scott,

Due to the underlying complexity of a modern valvetrain, we've been forced to cover a *lot* of ground during this thread.
Which certainly can be confusing. And doing this remotely via the written word makes this even harder.

It's one thing to describe a finite task such as how to replace the air cleaner element on a GMT400. It's quite
another to describe how to evaluate valve train noise and then attempt to quiet it in the least number of moves.
And at some point the task is so complex that the written word is insufficient, and instead textbooks, some video,
formal lecture/lab, and possibly working under a mentor is a common-sense requirement. (Think open heart surgery. :0)

But with a willingness to learn and an ability to not let frustration boil over I think that it *is* possible for a solid DIY guy or gal
to learn enough about adjusting the valves on their engine remotely, either as a diagnostic tool (to help figure out which part{s}
have reached the end of service life and require replacement) or as a way to set up a collection of good parts for many years
of quiet, smooth operation.

Elsewhere in this forum there are threads where something complicated like an engine swap has been attempted
as a necessary evil to save money instead of a desire to add a new skill or an opportunity to learn more about how
to be more self-reliant with your ride. It's hard to watch (even remotely) when someone is hitting snags and hating
every second of the project. :-(

But from here it seems that you've maintained a positive outlook on all this despite a steep learning curve.
And I remember back to last October when you successfully worked through not 1 but 2 brand new, bad
AC Delco Knock Sensors simply by making the measurements, following the data, and eventually finding
the fix via a NOS part. That was a good fix!

Given all of the above, I think that we should pause, take stock of where we are, go back and reread
some of the replies in this thread to help cement a mutual understanding of how this mechanism works,
and then come up with a plan that will minimize the risk while maximizing the benefit for you. (ie: I don't
want to be the Pied Piper that talks you into tearing apart the vehicle you need in order to get to work just
to fix a nuisance noise that isn't going to affect the overall reliability of your vehicle.)

As for the noisy valvetrain, I firmly believe in a measured response to any problem. Here is what the path
looks like:

1) Occasional lifter noise immediately after startup, which subsides after a few seconds. Per GM's own FSM, this is normal
and acceptable, no maintenance required. (See attached.)

2) Steady lifter tapping that does not subside from one, a few, or all 16 assemblies. The noise is cured via
external adjustment. And stays away. Problem solved with zero hard parts, just labor, gaskets, & oil change.

3) One or more lifter assemblies remains noisy despite the adjustments in step #2. The noisy lifter(s) are removed,
pass a careful visual examination for excess exterior wear. The diagnosis is suspected varnish buildup not allowing the
inner lifter parts to move as needed in order to keep the rest of the valvetrain assembly in a state of zero lash. Lifter
is disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, verified that it pumps up properly, reinstalled, and the preload set. Noise
goes away and stays away.

4) IF we arrive at this step, it's because the lifter failed the visual inspection in step #3. Decision time.

4a) Put back together, set preload for quietest operation, and drive vehicle until engine fails, send worn-out vehicle to
junk yard.

4b) You have a backup vehicle, allowing you enough time to pull the existing engine, remove all debris, refresh the
rings & bearings, new cam/lifters/timing chain, refresh the cylinders heads, etc. This takes time.

4c) You don't have a backup vehicle, but you can afford to be down for a weekend. While driving on the existing engine,
you locate a rebuildable donor out of the treasure yard/running 350 in a donor vehicle/reman engine from a parts store with
a warranty/GM crate motor/etc. Once the replacement motor is ready, start pulling the old motor on Friday after work,
and by Sunday afternoon have the new engine installed, fired up, and ready for duty.

5) After evaluating Step #4, you decide instead to take it to a trusted mechanic and have them do what it takes to install a
lasting fix in the engine bay. NOTE: If the cam or lifters have worn down until they became noisy, then paying a mechanic
to only change the cam & lifters on the existing motor is not a lasting fix. In this situation, there is simply too much hardened
debris inside the motor that will cause the kind of wear that will eventually lead to a plummeting oil pressure > failure.

The above is pretty much the unvarnished truth about your situation. I'm hoping that after a careful Step #2 is performed
(either cold or running preload, your choice) that your engine reverts back to Step #1, and this remains the status quo for
many miles. This is *still* a possible outcome. Going from here all the way to Step #3 for one or two lifters is also possible,
and again assuming the parts involved pass a careful visual inspection, this devarnishing can result in a quiet valvetrain,
allowing you to revert back to Step #1 for a long time.

It's when we have to escalate to Step #4 or Step #5 (after one or more parts fails a visual inspection) that things get expensive in
a hurry. And all of this involves a cost/benefit analysis that only you can make for yourself.

Again, I'm all about a careful evaluation of any noise, followed by a measured response. And an engine that's quiet enough for
a 27 year old DD may not be quiet enough if swapped into a powerboat. So when it comes to noise, there's no one right answer,
but instead a range of acceptable answers, which depend upon the priorities of the owner.

I'm going to go back and reread this thread so that I am sure that I've gotten my explanations right. Please give those 5 levels of
measured response some thought, and afterwards we'll figure out what is the best common-sense path forward for your situation.

Cheers --

Attachments

• '95 Lifter noise on startup diagnosis (arrows) -- GMT95_CK-1_1995_GM_CK__LIGHT_TRUCK_SERVICE_M...jpg
    '95 Lifter noise on startup diagnosis (arrows) -- GMT95_CK-1_1995_GM_CK__LIGHT_TRUCK_SERVICE_M...jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: