1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks!
I'm pretty happy with how it sounds....
Going to get it back together and cleaned up...take it for a drive....

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
quick question...
Is this a dead threaded hole? It had stuff bubbling out after my test drive...I'm thinking left over oil but wanted to be sure. Can't really tell... I blew it out but still see liquid?
Not sure why I never put a bolt back. Need to check my notes to see if it was ever even there....

edit....yeah it wasn't there when I did the intake gaskets

Attachments

• IMG20240305180203.jpg
    IMG20240305180203.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 6

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a dead threaded hole? It had stuff bubbling out after my test drive...I'm thinking left over oil but wanted to be sure.
Should be a blind hole.

Manifold could be cracked and seeping coolant or crankcase fumes.

More likely, it got hot enough to boil-out some water or coolant that got in there in the process of working on the vehicle.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One last thing. That thread count of '5' is just a theoretical example, not necessarily a goal
or an ideal. If all 16 assemblies end up close to the same to each other, that is the real goal,
whether it's just 2 threads, 6 threads, or some value inbetween.

There's a lot of reasons why your thread count might be only a couple of threads, but the
point is that we just want them to be close to the same. (Remember, each thread is worth
~.060" worth of vertical travel at the lifter, so we just do the thread count as a mechanical
cross-check to verify I am getting this right.)
I knew I wanted to revisit this when I had a clear mind.
Surely it doesn't mean they will be on an engine like mine?
It almost sounds like I just copy paste my #8 exhaust and all is well....or the #2 exhaust that is nice ...they do look similar...
But this is all things being equal right?

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew I wanted to revisit this when I had a clear mind.
Surely it doesn't mean they will be on an engine like mine?
It almost sounds like I just copy paste my #8 exhaust and all is well....or the #2 exhaust that is nice ...they do look similar...
But this is all things being equal right?

That's right. It's not absolute values, but relative to each other.

In a perfect world, we would expect all *16* assemblies to really match up.
In the real world? All 8 on the same cylinder head should match each other closely. And hopefully the
other cylinder head is a pretty close match to the first one? But on the 2nd cylinder head the 8 assemblies
should be a pretty close match to each other.

One cylinder head may have required more milling than the other in order to be flat enough to meet specification.
And it's common for one bank of a block to have been milled slightly taller/shorter than the other side during
manufacturing. And then once you consider the remachining of the valve seats, replacement valves with different
stem lengths, push rod straightness, etc., you can see where tolerance stack up would cause you to end up with
different number of rocker arm stud threads to be showing. But from what I can see on my screen you have a
pretty tight grouping overall. Certainly not enough to worry about at this point.

By the way, how did the test drive of your Yukon go? I'm very curious at this point.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was very nice. I'm over the moon with the progress...

Heard 2 taps at start up but quiet after... Running really strong and that rattling that I thought was my transmission pump ,torque converter bolts or timing chain for a while is no longer there. That's a huge relief.

Still never had the tap tap tap at startup before I ever messed with the valves but, I can take the tradeoff for now. I'll just wait til nobody's around before I start the truck...lol

It's miles better better than coming around the corner and letting off the gas and a can of marbles suddenly being thrown into my engine....

As long as I know the tapping at startup isn't destructive, I'll get back to work again for a bit. Maybe it'll work itself out in time... It is very random at startup. As long as it doesn't tap for more than a few seconds, I guess it's ok.....

Curious to see how it starts in the morning....

This has been great... And I can't wait to get back into the intake gaskets.... worried something may be going on inside if I have the issue with the leak outside....
But very happy for sure....

Thanks so much for everything you've done ..! Pure Gold

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not too happy now. Started truck and passenger side tapping like crazy for over a minute....shut it off...... Trying to convert my phone's adts recording file (new best friend these recordings) to something I can use to upload isn't proving simple and I've probably downloaded a virus from some free adts to mp3 converters that give you a zip with errors..lol

It doesn't sound like anything other than noisy lifters or rockers... Not a scary sound if that makes sense...I'll try to get a sample without the cursing...bad habit that is impossible to break...

Again,it's never done any kind of tapping at startup until I did the intake gaskets or messing with preload..I 100% suspect it'll clear up and once warm will start with a couple of taps but this minute long tapping or more is going to drive me mad....

Did use a 5w30/5w40 mix this last oil change because it's all I had..... and I did start using 5w30 instead of the 10w30 I've been using forever in the oil change just prior to doing the intake gaskets a few weeks ago....
I can't really tell which valve is making the noise...Sounds like all of them but it's a noticeable tick/tap so I'm assuming that means one is especially noisy?

I have some things I need to do but will get it opened back up again today God willing....
Should I put transmission fluid or some other cleaner in and change the oil? already have a bottle of rislone in there....Should I go with a bigger preload?
Arrgghhh

schurkey mentioned somewhere finding tdc on each valve and looking for one that is especially loose? Is this correct? I have to pull the fan and belt bc too much of a pita any other way for me but, I can do that

my driveway is pretty steep and I was backed in...not sure how it would've started sitting flat overnight...but still never has been this way.... even my oot trip it only happened a couple brief short times....
Suspect more preload needed?idk..driver bank is quiet...truck runs fantastic...

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here's a video a couple of minutes into it running...it's actually quieter than it was initially but still too loud.....It did quiet down completely pretty much before I pulled it out to the street.....runs great...

Was hoping video would pick up where issue is most likely but doesn't seem like it...
Also, when I took a hose to driver's side bank I couldn't hear anything before... I'm not sure why it sounds like there's noise there too??

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one thing that popped up was when I just backed up into my steep driveway. I blipped the throttle and heard one slight diesel sounding knock,,maybe passenger side... Didn't sound like pinging but idk..maybe it was.
my driveway is pretty steep and I was backed in...not sure how it would've started sitting flat overnight...but still never has been this way.... even my oot trip it only happened a couple brief short times....
Oil pick up issue?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cleaned everything not even a year ago when I changed the pan gasket. Oil pressure great...but that may be counter intuitive....this all started after doing the intake gaskets and messing with the preload.... It's usually cold start where it lasts longer.........I hope nothing got where it shouldn't during the gasket install. Was very careful........

It's gotten worse the more I mess with preload if I had to guess but could be a coincidence....... I was all over the place until yesterday with my preload so it's hard to say....

it acted same before in garage on flat surface too ...was just just hoping yesterday's adjustments would clear it up. Didn't on steep driveway obviously...Guessing it would have acted same in garage...idk....

Tempted to just try to run something through for a bit and change the oil...
I've used BG products before and their epr was mentioned...I like that it's a quick clean so I don't have to drive it around with stuff in it...maybe it's faster...idk...

Can't see how messing with preload again is going to help unless there's some operation I'm not familiar with where saying 3/4 or 1 full turn could help...At 1/2 now....

Just don't understand dirty lifters just deciding to act all at once...Maybe different clearances now.... really clueless