1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just finished replacing my intake manifold gaskets and adjusting my rockers to 1/4 turn past clacking stoppage while engine was running.Truck idling great, scan looks good but I have smoke coming out of the exhaust. Never smoked before except maybe at startup for a second. Now it's continuous and relentless.
Any ideas why? I don't think it's antifreeze smoke. It's pretty stinky like exhaust/oil..etc afaik.......
dangit..

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
From what I just read, all of your lifters/valves are 1/4 turn open. You squished them down past their hydraulic lift and they are now solid lifters.

Open them all back up and adjust properly without the engine running.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I just read, all of your lifters/valves are 1/4 turn open. You squished them down past their hydraulic lift and they are now solid lifters.

Open them all back up and adjust properly without the engine running.

I respectfully disagree, because if all the valves were cracked off the seat this would
prevent the engine from starting up, much less a smooth idle.

When adjusting a hydraulic lifter, when you first adjust for no clacking,
you are now at the *top* of the hydraulic adjustment travel that the
inner plunger has to work with. And on the GM engine assembly line
(using factory lifters featuring factory machining & tolerances) they are
supposedly set at 1 full turn, putting the plunger midway in the travel.
(ie: OEM lifters have 2 full turns worth of adjustment available.)

The problem that I and others have run into is that aftermarket hydraulic lifters
will sometimes bottom out with only 3/4 of a turn preload. This is one of those
times when I deviate from the FSM because things have changed with what
gets delivered to the doorstep for me to use while trying to keep these engines
running in the 24+ years since the General originally put ink to paper.

So that's the short version of why I recommend that all 16 lifters are set to just quiet,
and then afterwards a 1/4-1/2 turn of preload is added to the 'just quiet' adjustment point.
I've done this for years & years, and it's the only way I've found that puts a long
term fix on a SBC hydraulic lifter adjustment.

You must be registered for see images attach

For what's it worth, I used to set the hydraulic lifter preload cold,
twirling the pushrods feeling for resistance while at the same time watching
for the lifter internals to just come off the lock ring. After making sure
that the lifters were pumped up prior to placing them in the bores.
And when you used to get all 16 lifters with the same leakdown rates,
they would all act the same and even I could get it pretty close to right
using the prescribed method.

But now when you purchase 16 hydraulic lifters and pump them all up,
then most of them will act the same, but in some the plunger can be
depressed much easier than the others, (due to looser internal mfg clearances)
...and this is why it's so hard for me to do these by feel anymore.

Given all this, my #1 preference is setting the lash on solid lifters. So
much simpler, so many less variables.

My #2 preference is to set the hydraulic lifters with a running preload
adjustment after a best-effort cold adjustment during assembly.

And the rest of the methods? Well, I just don't do it anymore. Instead, I
just excuse myself and resume my spot on the bench. But if asked I'll
jump back in later if the engine is clattery (too loose) and/or exhibits a
rough idle. (Too tight.)

This is just one more data point to add to the mix. No doubt that there are others
who can deliver the same/even better hydraulic valvetrain adjustment using the
cold preload method. Maybe if they can share their process then I can do it too.
No doubt less messy to boot. :0)

Cheers --

PS: Here's a good article from Chevyhardcore about lifter state of the art. Will cure insomnia: (Detailed Lifter Tour de Force)

Attachments

• Hydraulic lifter cutaway (detailed) .jpg
    Hydraulic lifter cutaway (detailed) .jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished replacing my intake manifold gaskets and adjusting my rockers to 1/4 turn past clacking stoppage while engine was running.Truck idling great, scan looks good but I have smoke coming out of the exhaust. Never smoked before except maybe at startup for a second. Now it's continuous and relentless.
Any ideas why? I don't think it's antifreeze smoke. It's pretty stinky like exhaust/oil..etc afaik.......
dangit..

scott2093,

The lifter adjustment sounds good, confirmed by the 'great idle'. Assuming that your intake manifold gasket
replacement went according to plan and was a success, the only thing remaining is all the smoke.

Believe me, unless you have a set of cut up valve covers & controlled the oil coming out of the rocker arm spit holes,
you may have some uncontained oil all over the engine bay. And once you heat up the exhaust manifolds, it's gonna
smoke until it's all burned off. And the cooling fan is going to blow it under the truck and everywhere else.

My suggestion would be to check/top off the engine oil level, drive to the nearest quarter car wash, give the engine bay
a careful cleanup, and then drive the truck for 30-45 minutes, and then recheck all your fluids, signs of smoke from
anywhere/everywhere, any new noises, etc.

EDIT: If she's still smoking out of the exhaust, you have to decide which of the 3 'smoke' colors you are seeing:

* White/steam: Coolant is somehow getting metered into the exhaust. Intake gaskets, (in the 4 corners)
head gaskets weeping between water jacket openings and cylinder bore, or crack(s) in the heads. White
smoke/steam always makes me sad.

* Black, sooty smoke. Excessively rich air/fuel mixture. Any SES/CEL codes? You can choose to
confirm by reading the color of the porcelain of your spark plugs. Fix asap.

* Blue smoke. Oil consumption. Confirm via reading the spark plugs. How bad is it? How many
miles can you drive before having to add another quart?

The old gal just went through a bit of invasive surgery, so she's gonna be a little wobbly for a bit.
Give her an early spring cleaning in the engine bay and waltz her out into the night -- then evaluate.

Of course, unless the oil pressure or coolant temps contraindicate said test trip, you should be good to go.

Let us know what you find.

Fingers crossed. Successful vibes being sent your way.

Cheers --

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it seems to be idling great. I'm just not ready to test drive yet bc of the smoke. Although when I just pulled it out of garage into the driveway , it didn't seem as ominous. Maybe because it's not a garage out there and it's getting dark. I am uploading a video in a few...
Besides, passenger side needs another adjustment...damnit... I put a hose to the valve cover and my ear could hear them... Drivers side dead quiet.... At first I thought it was my injectors since they can be noisy ish....
Sure feels like it's way smoother though. Maybe there's hope..

definitely the exhaust smoking. Driver's side exhaust flange where collector meets is burning off a lot. I don't think it's coming from the joint , more residual oil carnage.but still need to investigate

Schurkey I did previously do attempt everything with the intake off. I read your multiple threads and, although you mentioned getting zero lash a must, I guess I couldn't do it. Didn't do the spinning....Shook up and down..... Tried looking at the plunger action but only a few would make sense to me... It was loping real hard so I guess I was way too tight?

Getting close

Last edited:

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First thing that pops to my mind is that you have a leaking intake gasket, and it's ingesting water... The other is that you suddenly have bad valve stem seals, which if it smoked a bit before indicates they were on their way anyway.
If it was mine, I would go ahead and start all over, and take the heads off, and drop them off at the closest engine machine shop, and have them replace the valve stem seals. Use quality head, intake, and exhaust gaskets (Fel pro).

Edit: if you muffed the valve adjustment, I still don't think that would cause excessive smoking. You can still feel the push rods with your fingers without the intake off. There is plenty of rod exposed under the rocker arms.

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the video.... should be up.....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Can actually hear the lifters on passenger side. I focus on that driver's side flange too.. Somebody pressing the hamburger on the grill above somewhere ...hopefully residual......
sounds like my alternator not happy...another time...

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First thing that pops to my mind is that you have a leaking intake gasket, and it's ingesting water... The other is that you suddenly have bad valve stem seals, which if it smoked a bit before indicates they were on their way anyway.
If it was mine, I would go ahead and start all over, and take the heads off, and drop them off at the closest engine machine shop, and have them replace the valve stem seals. Use quality head, intake, and exhaust gaskets (Fel pro).

Edit: if you muffed the valve adjustment, I still don't think that would cause excessive smoking. You can still feel the push rods with your fingers without the intake off. There is plenty of rod exposed under the rocker arms.
ugh.... I thought I did everything right. Was pretty meticulous... But I was meticulous trying to find zero lash with intake off too. This is my first time.....
This is my work truck and I'm already pushing into it too far by missing today.
Worries me because I have to travel 150 miles each way for this next job. Going to clean up the garage a little and at least get under the truck and see if the oil coming from behind the motor is in fact residual. And I'll redo the passenger side rockers...
I know I have leaky seals, actually bought some but didn't have time the way things were going.... Do you think the different travel from adjustment can just be burning off all the stuff from before?? Not even sure that makes sense...
Never did this before I goofed with everything....

Guess I'll keep an eye on the coolant..

I'm going to drive it up the road ..

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the video.... should be up.....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Can actually hear the lifters on passenger side. I focus on that driver's side flange too.. Somebody pressing the hamburger on the grill above somewhere ...hopefully residual......
sounds like my alternator not happy...another time...

I watched the video, and if it doesn't smell like antifreeze, then it's quite possible
that you are just burning off condensate that settled in your exhaust. Q: Has
it been humid recently while you were working on your truck?

Finish setting your lash, put it together, clean the engine bay if you get a
chance, and drive it for awhile near home base to ensure that it's ready
for longer trips.

And do yourself a favor, and for the next while be sure to carry a spare
gallon of coolant and a quart or 2 of oil. Better to have it and not need it
instead of the other way around.

EDIT: Make sure and fill your coolant recovery tank to the COLD mark in
the morning before you go to work. Even better, using a sharpie mark
exactly where you filled it to. Now, over the next several days what you
want to see is for the coolant system to finally burp all it's air out, and
you will keep filling the overflow tank every morning until it (hopefully)
stops 'using' any coolant. Once this happens and you go for several
days/week or more without the cold coolant level changing, then we
know that the cooling system is alright.

Remember, it's normal for a healthy engine to consume some oil as
the miles go by. On the other hand, zero coolant consumption is
the mark of a healthy engine. Any usage must be figured out
so that an informed decision can be make about what to do to
fix it.

Just be sure to carry extra coolant & oil, and check the fluid
levels carefully.

Last edited: