1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I'm going in again. Just started truck for first time since last night and it started tickety tapping for 20 seconds pretty loud...then subsided but never completely stopped ...sounds like #1 but will know more once I get going...
Time to take some notes...
wonder if 1/4 turn isn't where I should be aiming? but I guess it shouldn't be making noises anyway so it's just pointing to another issue..

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going in again. Just started truck for first time since last night and it started tickety tapping for 20 seconds pretty loud...then subsided but never completely stopped ...sounds like #1 but will know more once I get going...
Time to take some notes...
wonder if 1/4 turn isn't where I should be aiming? but I guess it shouldn't be making noises anyway so it's just pointing to another issue..

I read everything you shared. It's an older crate motor, and fortunately you know the history through
your buddy.

Listen, since you are volunteering to be our test student, you could try a couple of things to see if there's
a different/better adjustment for your particular motor?

For example, how about you set this engine up with a 1/2 turn (~.030") of hydraulic lifter preload? Others
may argue for the full turn (~.060") and I have no problem with that, just depends upon whatever lifters
that were originally installed by the ToughOne employees?

Listen, I just finished up the data collection sheet for any mechanic trying to get as much info as possible out of
setting/resetting the valve preload. I also attached a couple of hypothetical situations in order to try and
explain what you are looking for. (See attachments.)

Bottom line, you are working with an engine with some miles on it, so no doubt all the clearances have
opened up from normal wear? The new problem definition seems to be that the engine is running much
better now than before, but it is noisy on initial startup? If so, then maybe by dialing in more preload
this will give you the best balance between how it runs vs how quiet it is at startup?

Please give the attached a look, and let me know if this all makes sense. And if possible,
collect the data as you make your adjustments (or have your helper do this) and let's see
if we can see any patterns.

And then set the preload to at least 1/2 turn from just quiet and let's see what happens.

And I thought that the 2 new, DOA O2 sensors was a challenge to work through. :0)

Best of luck --

Attachments

• Hydraulic Lifter running preload results data worksheet (master copy) .jpg
    Hydraulic Lifter running preload results data worksheet (master copy) .jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Hydraulic Lifter running preload results data worksheet {hypothetical used example} (v1dot oh) .jpg
    Hydraulic Lifter running preload results data worksheet {hypothetical used example} (v1dot oh) .jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Hydraulic Lifter running preload results data worksheet (best case scenario) .jpg
    Hydraulic Lifter running preload results data worksheet (best case scenario) .jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Comp Cams lifter preload recommendations (underlined).jpg
    Comp Cams lifter preload recommendations (underlined).jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks..
I'm recording everything because I'm alone. I actually need to use voice recorder so I can note everything after.

13 minutes to do number one..too much video and space isn't great on my phone or computers atm...of course..hi def setting..2 gigs

Number one intake could be installed at a golf course it's shooting so hard... others are starting to follow suit... The valve covers don't have the height to stop... should have gotten tall ones..
Making a mess... almost want to let it shoot the fender instead of deflecting it back to engine....

doesn't make sense...#1 intake must have taken close to 1/2to 3/4 turn to have clacking totally stay consistent. on intake.. If I wait 10 seconds, it quiets up...so I kept going..exhaust only took 1/4 to get it to stay..this was in 1/8 turn increments...lossen 1/8..clacking..wait ..stops...loosen 1/8..clacking..wait...actually probably just under 1/8 turns...not quite 16th though....

both quieted with 1/8 turn...uploading my video to my computer to free space so this is rough observation...

I promise to note everything well. Don't want truck to cool down too much so going back out...

I just hope my "just quiet" is correct... I can hear tapping if I put a hose to it but can't hear anything standing above.... I know it can sound smooth... I've heard it before.... Just worried I won't find zero lash....

don't understand how when I loosened up everything when trying everything cold tdc etc , it didn't seem like this much turning to get things loose... I'm guessing I don't understand something..
Thanks again..will use your sheets

I'm so pissed right now..lol

these f ers are shooting everywhere

should have uni bitted holes instead of cutting the middle of covers..useless

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick reply to shooters: A small piece of aluminum foil wrapped/tented over the upper 1/2
of your rocker arms will help. The idea is to take the oil being shot out and deflect it down
towards the rocker arm pivot instead of on the garage wall. :0)

Heavy Duty foil is better than the thin stuff. But anything is way better than nothing. (Dollar Tree Reynolds Wrap)

Hang in there. Once you figure out all the implementation details it's actually a satisfying exercise
in optimizinig what you have to work with.

Stay clean. :0)

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks..
I'm recording everything because I'm alone. I actually need to use voice recorder so I can note everything after.

I like the voice recorder.

"#1 exhaust, (3) 1/4 turns until steady clacking. Set to just quiet."

"# 1 intake, (2) 1/4 turns until steady clacking. Set to just quiet."

"#3 intake, (1) 1/4 turn until steady clacking. Set to just quiet."

"# 3 exhaust, (5) 1/4 turns until steady clacking. Set to just quiet."

Etc., etc., until you finish.

Now update your data sheet by listening to your voice recording. Divide
and conquer -- focus exclusively on your adjustments along with a running
commentary. And since the engine is running, we don't want to rush, but
at the same time we want to be focused on getting the adjustments done
& the engine shut back off.

THEN update your data sheet. This may seem like overkill, but it's
a valuable reference if anything changes down the road and you need
to revisit. (!) And it will also help us remote guys better understand
what's going on under your valve covers.

And it shouldn't take gigs of storage to record your voice for a short while. :0)

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, the section of the data sheet where I'm asking how many threads
are showing above each rocker arm adjusting nut? This is a quick cross-check
to see how well each assembly is adjusted in relationship to the others. Check
out this photo, and compare how many threads are showing above each adjusting
nut:

You must be registered for see images attach

It's a lot of little details, but when taken in total we will have a much
better grasp of what's going on.

FWIW --

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
got it....

I'm thinking there won't be but a few threads showing when I get to zero but we'll see.

Thank God trash hadn't come yet.... just cut out the passenger side's top so it doesn't fit driver's side as well as passenger obviously but it'll do...I'll just keep regular cover over one and switch for now...I'll drill the other later... maybe...
#1 intake still wanting to come out the edge of the hole,,,rest are in check though...

Funny thing is I just washed the floor yesterday and used all my degreaser....looks like Autozone home delivery with some purple power is in the cards..

Ok...where were we..lol

Thank you again..I'm totally following you....

Attachments

• IMG20240304165705.jpg
    IMG20240304165705.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG20240304202911.jpg
    IMG20240304202911.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 6

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got it....

I'm thinking there won't be but a few threads showing when I get to zero but we'll see.

Thank God trash hadn't come yet.... just cut out the passenger side's top so it doesn't fit driver's side as well as passenger obviously but it'll do...I'll just keep regular cover over one and switch for now...I'll drill the other later... maybe...
#1 intake still wanting to come out the edge of the hole,,,rest are in check though...

Funny thing is I just washed the floor yesterday and used all my degreaser....looks like Autozone home delivery with some purple power is in the cards..

Ok...where were we..lol

Thank you again..I'm totally following you....

scott2093,

Up here in Syracuse we just had a 64° degree afternoon. Washed a bunch of winter off of the chore truck,
gave it a quick buffing & waxing, great exercise, and now she's a proud Indigo Blue beauty. Feeling less salty,
and a lot less guilty, so life is good. :0)

First of all, really like your hole saw modded valve cover. Very tidy -- A Pro level cheat -- I'm feeling the need to keep up
with the Jones, if you know what I mean. :0) Nice.

Second, yesterday I was trying to come up with a clear, succinct 'clack vs quiet' description. It's one thing when
2 old dogs are conversing, 1 guy says I'm gonna loosen it just until it clacks, and then just quiet...and the other
guy knows exactly what he means based on also doing this adjustment a few times over the years.

But in reality, with a running engine no valvetrain is actually "quiet". If we were in audio, I'd get away with saying
that when all 16 lifters are adjusted properly the resulting background noise is ~70 decibels at 1 meter away. But
when one lifter starts clacking, it's a 90 decibel noise happening 1/16 as often as the overall valvetrain noise.

NOTE: Understanding this sound interval stuff is key. For example, if you were to temporarily adjust *all 16* rockers
to clatter simultaneously, it's both loud and so fast as to be a continual clattering. On the other hand, with 15 adjusted
to be quiet, then when you start to loosen the single rocker arm, it becomes a distinct clack clack clack at a much
slower rate.

And the mildest cams with the slowest ramps will give you the quietest overall valvetrain. (Think non-performance-oriented
OEM designs.) On the other hand, all the cutting edge "Extreme Energy" cam designs have such aggressive ramps (for more
area under the curve) that you can have a hydraulic lifter engine sound almost as noisy as an old, well adjusted solid lifter
version of the same engine.

More later after you post your latest results.

Cheers --

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got done with 1 3 5 & 7... lot to get down in an organized fashion.. and I'll take pics of threads and try to count them...
Want to get to other side asap...HOA here..lol...people walking their dogs through the smoke isn't a good look...it's less smoke as it goes...adding back the cutout with holes was a huge help....

Believe it or not a couple or few valves took 1.5 turns to get to what I think is zero....

I think I'm on right track but ......realized I went for 1/8 turn for the tightening to get to quiet and every one quieted with that. Maybe could have gone less but it seemed like the smallest I could turn the wrench because nuts were tight but I know that's not true in hindsight. probably got used to the 1/8 increments loosening and it carried over to that....dangit....

Anyway did 1/2 turn preload from there for now.

Feeling pretty good about how it's sounding.... not sure why all the turns..but there were a couple or few threads left for sure because I was getting freaked out and kept an eye on them...
Seems off but that's where I am atm...

Promise to get an organized update asap....
Thank you again!

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
kinda freaking out...Just started with number 2 valves. did the exhaust....Went to do intake...probably 1/2 turn before it clacked...but it was not a sharp clack...more like looseness...didn't sound normal...almost diesel sound...Still a clack I guess but it stood out as different sounding for some reason...
So I went to tighten it and it won't budge. I'm afraid to crank on it.... Just using a little 3/8 socket atm.....

It's only got a couple of threads left..maybe 1.... I'm afraid to loosen it more too obviously...haven't tried....
Shut off truck and still can't tighten??
Sos...

on a positive note, 1 3 5 and 7 are super quiet now.... kinda creepy...

is it normal for the rocker nuts to bind like this? should I give it more force? I can tell it's jammed for some reason...

edit....I gave it a little more force and it moved...Still really tight....crusty feeling....too tight imo...

Problem now is #2 exhaust and #4 intake are not pumping oil...just started doing this....

edit...gave it some revvs and #4 intake started pumping again but then stopped....

this side is definitely noisier...but it cleared up pretty nice after running a while...

Guess I'll stop now, try to organize my notes and get back at it tomorrow... have a feeling whatever is going on isn't the best but not the end of the world hopefully.... Idles and revs very nice and smooth now.......but it usually behaves pretty good in that way so we'll see..

Did 1/2 turn on the 2 4 6 8 as well....

Attachments

• IMG20240304203554.jpg
    IMG20240304203554.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: