HELP! Leaking Diff Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malones99

Reaction score
So I have a 10 bolt, I changed the gear oil, and I cannot get the darn thing to stop leaking. Guy at local parts store told ne to use RTV on the cover - to - gasket, gasket to housing, NO RTV between gasket - to - housing. Any All-Knowing GMT Gods please help. I use a felpro gasket and blue RTV, is that the correct RTV? What do you use?

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lay the cover on a flat surface and make sure its not bent anyplace around the mounting flange. may times ive only used rtv and never had a problem. just make sure the surfaces are clean and oil free, use brake or carb clean on it and make sure to blow it out of the threads so it any residual lube/cleaner doesn't come out as ya put the bolts in.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Like just stated, insure the cover is not bent. But if it wasn't leaking before it probably isn't bent. Get a new gasket and clean both surfaces really well will a scrapper and brake parts cleaner install new gasket with NO RTV. I've never had a leak, ever! And I worked at a dealership for 7 yrs.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I always use just regular old RTV, no gasket.

Never had a leak.

Follow directions on the tube.

Make sure the metal around the holes isn't "dimpled" from PO's white knuckle torquing the bolts.

Make sure the surfaces are clean, make sure gear oil isn't still dripping out of the carrier housing when you install.

Good luck.

:)

scoob8000

Reaction score
Like just stated, insure the cover is not bent. But if it wasn't leaking before it probably isn't bent. Get a new gasket and clean both surfaces really well will a scrapper and brake parts cleaner install new gasket with NO RTV. I've never had a leak, ever! And I worked at a dealership for 7 yrs.

+1 on making sure the cover is not bent.

I also agree fully on not using any RTV. Not only is it a mess to clean off the next time you change fluids, you don't want to block the round holes on either side by the axle tubes (that's how oil gets to the outside bearings).

I usually take a new gasket and smear it with oil, then assemble. A lot of times doing this, you can actually reuse the gasket next time because it comes off cleanly in one piece.