Help ideas required 89 TBI wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
(I've posted this same q to gmtruckclub forum as well. Apologies if seen as rude or unpolite behaviour)

Pulled Red Dust - '89 350 TBI - to company car park this morning. I was running low on petrol, actually lower than ever before, the needle was close to empty. The plan was to to fill the tank upon leaving, closest pump being only mile away.

However, when time came, no go! Cranked powerfully but did not catch. Obviously, I figured that maybe I had indeed run out of petrol. Managed to pull appr. 15 liters to tank, needle moving up and over of first mark. Still no go! Eventually I was forced to give up and bummed a ride home from co-worker.

I must go back tomorrow with some xtra petrol and try again, but I'm starting to think that this might not be an empty tank problem.
The place is such that no work/diagnosis is really possible, so if it doesn't start tomorrow with the simplest things its tow truck time.

The question to forum members is: any ideas on what might've gone wrong? As said the truck was running nicely untill turned off, allthough 'service engine soon' light did stare at me some part of the journey and was glowing when I turned the engine off. SES has been occasionally coming and going in recent past but so far I've not taken any action on it, did it now bite me back?

-J

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Chances are that if you have enough fuel in it, the fuel pump went out. Make sure there is enough fuel in it, then pour a little gas down the throttle body, make sure everyone is away from the engine, and see if it cranks, if it does, but dies soon after, it is usually the fuel pump. Before changing the pump, swap the pump relay with another and see if that works, if not, its most likely the pump.

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^
Thanks for the hint! I guess start up spray would work as well as pouring petrol, kinda embarrassing to admit but being a corporate drone and parking in HQ garage means that starting to wheel tools, petrol etc. in overalls ( actually, showing up in security cameras in anything other than "proper attire") will cause hassle and said activity will be terminated by building security immediatelly :(

-J

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
Does it sputter like its trying to start? How many miles are on the fuel pump? There is a small piece of rubber hose that couples the pump to the plumbing inside the tank. In old units, this hose deteriorates and cracks. Thereby only pumping a minimal amount of fuel to your injectors and at a pressure so low that the engine will barely start at all. This can also cause the fuel in the lines to drain back into the tank making a long crank to get it going if its been sitting. Also after cranking, carefully look down inside the throttle bores. If the butterflys are dry, the pump is most likely at fault. As was mentioned before, you may need to check the fuel pump relay. Have a friend check the grey wire coming off the relay. It should have 12v as soon as you turn the key on.

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^
No sputter, not even an attempt of starting up. I don't know how old the pump is, it hasn't been changed - or given any trouble - during my ownership of close to three years. The total milege is close to 200 000 so I'd be surprised if it hasn't been changed in the past.

-J

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
Pumps just quit like that all the time. For a lot of us, its right after filling the tank. Run those tests and checks and let us know how you made out.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok need to read the codes on it.

need to try and floor the pedal to see if it trys to start then.

need to listen for the pump to kick on.

need to see if it gets spark.

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bang on the tank a few times. Sometimes when the pump is going, running it low will make it fail. A few raps on the tank sometimes is enough to get it working long enough to get home.

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone for their help and hints! At the end of the day I had to resort to a flat bed and got Red Dust towed to a shop. I'll let you know what the culprit was once all is fine and dandy again.

-J