Help. Chasing a hesitation issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
If the PCM thinks you're running too lean, it'll add fuel and possibly foul spark plugs too. Even maybe plug the cat with un-burned fuel?

I checked the plugs and they looked good, and this truck doesn’t have cats. It’s strait back to mufflers true duals, but could that extra fuel sort of “flood it out”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this truck doesn’t have cats.
Yeah, my bad - I edited my post just after I clicked Reply.

but could that extra fuel sort of “flood it out”?
Yes it can but, I'd think you'd get a code 44 for low voltage O2 1st. That's wher a scanner would help so you can see your cross counts and whether you going into closed loop at all. If not in closed loop it's running on you VE table with no adjustments. Have you tried the "paper clip" trick to see if you have any codes?

https://www.freeautomechanic.com/diagnostictroblecodes5.html

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
Yeah, my bad - I edited my post just after I clicked Reply.

Yes it can but, I'd think you'd get a code 44 for low voltage O2 1st. That's wher a scanner would help so you can see your cross counts and whether you going into closed loop at all. If not in closed loop it's running on you VE table with no adjustments. Have you tried the "paper clip" trick to see if you have any codes?

https://www.freeautomechanic.com/diagnostictroblecodes5.html

No I haven’t flashed the codes yet, I will do that to see what codes I get. Sometimes the check engine light will come in for maybe 1-3 minutes then go back out

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
That's normal, the light will go out sometimes but the PCM will store the code for ~30 - 40 key cycles (depending on the memcal program) or if you disconnect the battery.

Ok, I will flash the codes and see what comes up, I’m hoping I’m not having distributor problems because of how rusty the pickup coil is

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping I’m not having distributor problems because of how rusty the pickup coil is
That's another thing I didn't want to get into yet, until you can eliminate other possible issues before loading up the parts cannon, ha ha. Try to fix known problems that won't cost too much, other than you labor, 1st.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You never mentioned anything about your fuel filter. A partially clogged fuel filter will act like that. It won’t have full flow under high demand. For a few bucks it wouldn’t hurt to replace it if it wasn’t done for awhile.

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
So I drove the truck around today and this issue is gradually getting worse, this only started yesterday, and it’s slowly getting worse and worse, I have no power, throttle response is slow under load, if the clutch is pushed in or it’s in neutral you can rev it all day and it won’t do a thing but now it’s wanting to hesitate in every gear