Heavy Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The steering in my 91 C1500 seems heavy. I just greased all the joints so I don't think anything is binding. I can palm the wheel but it takes a little effort and feels heavy going down the road. I just replaced the pitman and idler arms. The rest of the frontend is tight. There seems to be a little lash in the sector that gives me about an inch of freeplay at the rim of the steering wheel. I'm kind of leaning towards the vanes worn out in the P/S pump which I'm pretty sure is the original with 230,000 miles on it. I've seen the control valves go bad in the steering box but but that always affected steering on way or the other. Had one come in once that would turn itself left when you cranked up the motor.

Is it just the way these modern trucks are? I can turn my ElCamino with one finger.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too early for EVO, so not an EVO issue.

Worn vanes/low pressure from the PS pump is a distinct possibility. Failing steering gear is another possibility.

Binding suspension joints, restricted hoses/PS cooler seem very unlikely.

Verify the serpentine belt tensioner, assure that the belt isn't slipping on the PS pulley.

That's all I got.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too early for EVO, so not an EVO issue.

Worn vanes/low pressure from the PS pump is a distinct possibility. Failing steering gear is another possibility.

Binding suspension joints, restricted hoses/PS cooler seem very unlikely.

Verify the serpentine belt tensioner, assure that the belt isn't slipping on the PS pulley.

That's all I got.
New belt and tensioner with pulley. Belt doesn't squeal when I bang the locks. The pump on ElCie is less than a year old,guess I'll be doing a pulley and pump swap.