Header/ exhaust help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelby96

Reaction score
Hello! First off let me say I just joined the forum and would like to say I really have learned a lot from reading through some other threads, hope y'all can help me as well and hello! ;) so right now my 96' k1500 ext cab, sits with a k&n FIPK kit and tbi spacer and (i can honest tell a improvement over stock) my next item I will be purchasing will be a set of headers, no I don't want long tubes, just shorties, I have my eye on a set of JBA'S, stainless. Anyone have history with these headers? Any better shorties out there?
Next, I have stock cats, should I replace them with high flow cats, and x pipe? Have heard x pipe helps bottom end. Just help me of ya can thanks!

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
First of all welcome! Now about your exhaust, I know shorties are cheap and easy to install, but from personal experience i would save up and go with longtubes. I put my shorties on almost 3 years ago now and for about 2 1/2 I've wanted longtubes. I just didn't as much power as I had hoped and they leak a little where they connect to the rest of the exhaust. Also, you might as well sell that TB spacer and use the money for exhaust parts because it's not helping any except for maybe a "whoosh" sound. Since the Vortec injection system is down in the intake the spacer doesn't give the fuel more time to atomize like it would in a TBI or carbed motor. Good luck!

p.s. post up some pics of your truck! We love pics around here!

Kelby96

Reaction score
On tbi spacer, I installed the tbi spacer first, before I did cai, and I always seemed to have a lag in the throttle but after I installed the tbi spacer it did improve my throttle response, but not any "major" hp Or tq gains as advertised. Lol! And that is a honest review of the tbi spacer. Now I have been told this about long tubes, but I don't think a shop will allow me to install long tubes around here. If I installed long tubes, what kind of hp gains should I expect? Any brands you recommend?

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headers on a stock engine are useless IMO. Stock manifolds are fine untill you want 300hp+ at the rear wheels. Stock your lucky to put down 200 at the rear wheels. Save money for other mods if you want power. Cam and tune are a good place to start. If your stuck on doing headers, long tubes all the way, and don't go with over 1 5/8 primary's.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you able to pass emission tests using long tubes?

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Welcome Kelby! Others may say that headers are useless on a stock motor, that may be true, but if you do get a set and run the stock y-pipe thats useless. A full exhuast set up ( Headers, Duals with high flow cats, Perf. Muffler) has dyno'd to show a 40HP increase. Thats with a CAI and a tune from TBI Chips as well. Well worth the money IMO.