Head gasket shot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Time for new O2 sensors. At least the upstream ones. Drive it for a few days to make sure all the coolant is burned off.

Low voltage = Lean or dead O2 sensors.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coolant does kill cats but I see cycling, what am I missing?
You must be registered for see images attach

Took me awhile to see it. In fact, I didn't notice it until I happened to see the double-traces in the other picture.

There's supposed to be TWO graph traces--a solid line for Bank 2 Sensor 1 (upstream) and a dotted line for Bank 2 Sensor 2 (downstream)

The downstream, dotted-line graph is flatlined, just above "0". Hard to see, below the uppy-downy solid-line graph.

It's dead, Jim.

Either the sensor has failed, or there's wire-harness problems. Either way, that's gotta get fixed. "I" would cram four sensors in the thing, and hope for the best. Deal with wire-harness issues on the Flatliner, if the sensor didn't fix it. But maybe I'm too quick to condemn "experienced" O2 sensors. So maybe just replace Bank 2, Sensor 2 (downstream)

By comparison, the Bank 1 sensors are both moving about the same amount.

I'd expect that with a healthy catalyst, the downstream (dotted-line) would be moving less vigorously. The graph might show some movement, but not as much as the upstream sensor.

I'd drive the thing awhile, especially under load/high speed. MAYBE that catalyst will come back to life. Maybe not. As is, it's not doing anything, which is why both O2 sensors have about the same voltage swings.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Took me awhile to see it. In fact, I didn't notice it until I happened to see the double-traces in the other picture.

There's supposed to be TWO graph traces--a solid line for Bank 2 Sensor 1 (upstream) and a dotted line for Bank 2 Sensor 2 (downstream)

The downstream, dotted-line graph is flatlined, just above "0". Hard to see, below the uppy-downy solid-line graph.

It's dead, Jim.

Either the sensor has failed, or there's wire-harness problems. Either way, that's gotta get fixed. "I" would cram four sensors in the thing, and hope for the best. Deal with wire-harness issues on the Flatliner, if the sensor didn't fix it. But maybe I'm too quick to condemn "experienced" O2 sensors. So maybe just replace Bank 2, Sensor 2 (downstream)

By comparison, the Bank 1 sensors are both moving about the same amount.

I'd expect that with a healthy catalyst, the downstream (dotted-line) would be moving less vigorously. The graph might show some movement, but not as much as the upstream sensor.

I'd drive the thing awhile, especially under load/high speed. MAYBE that catalyst will come back to life. Maybe not. As is, it's not doing anything, which is why both O2 sensors have about the same voltage swings.

I see it now, that thing is pegged. When I flipped that dually the exhaust stunk like rotten eggs for a while (powertrain had sat a few years). After some fresh plugs and a couple of 30 minute drives it started clearing up and there was zero smell by the time I sold it.