Head gasket shot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what they are or how someone managed to get them in there in the first place. They’re each single wires looped around through the inside. They’re stuck and won’t budge, almost like whatever internal coating they used fused them to the metal.

Beats me.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got a set of reman heads from a company out of Texas.

One has some bad pitting at the coolant passage that extends just a hair under the gasket. Would y’all do a JBWeld fix or just send it back?

Guess I’m just tired of the delays, seems like it’s just hurry up and wait on this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contact them, send those same photos via e-mail or whatever. See what they say.

I would be very tempted to scrub that section of the head with solvent and a wire brush, then fill the gaps with epoxy. Let it cure fully. Smooth it out with VERY FINE sandpaper backed by a piece of glass for flatness.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I received these at our shop, we would most likely reject them. Surfaces should be ready, not " oh another 4 hours repair and prep. It appears you can see rust or locktite still in the threads. I do know our quality control would not let this leave the building. I guess my, and my industry definition of reman, " Remanufactured " is a little different. Oh well,...
I did have some small pitting on my K2500, and I used a little of the 2 part, grey/ black JB weld. 3M makes a good 2 part product, we used at work, " Metalset" . Probably cost an arm and leg though. Good luck.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the heads are on and it looks to be good. No coolant loss and the oil lost the chocolate milk feature. It took probably an hour to get it to quit steaming from the exhaust, coolant was dripping from the flange downstream of the converters and I have a nice exhaust leak there now. Will swap the gasket there.

Looking at the O2 sensors (attached plots are at idle, closed loop) can y’all help me interpret this? Is the bank 1 converter now dead after being subjected to the coolant? Cylinder 5 is the one that filled with coolant with the cracked head.

Bank 2 never flooded (but did have cracks in the head) but that sensor doesn’t seem to be reporting. Shouldn’t it be around 500 mV with a functioning converter?

No DTCs are stored.

Fuel trims aren’t great, either, but I think I should resolve the exhaust issues first. Agree?