94' leaking coolant from what looks like head gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
recently curb checked the **** out of my truck and shorlty after i noticed shes leaking coolant from the head. what should i do to diagnose what i need
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a pressure tester from the loaner-tool section of your favorite parts store. Fill the radiator, pressure test the system at ~15 psi. See where it gets wet.

First Guess: Intake manifold leak, drooling down onto the head gasket area, and dripping off from there.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, I can't see where a curb check would cause a head gasket leak. Use the suggested by @Schurkey, pressure tester and be sure. The throw resulting from the impact can throw the weight of a loose heater hose around and cause a connection leak. IMO, if you leak at the head gasket or the intake, the leak was there before the impact. But again, IMO.

Reaction score
Get a pressure tester from the loaner-tool section of your favorite parts store. Fill the radiator, pressure test the system at ~15 psi. See where it gets wet.

First Guess: Intake manifold leak, drooling down onto the head gasket area, and dripping off from there.
its not emptying my radiator but you are saying put the pressure tester on my radiator and then look with the engine off for bubbling and what not? i hope its just the manifold but lets assume its worse if it jostled my heads it could cause coolant to leak out of my heads? or are there no coolant passages in my heads?

Reaction score
Yea, I can't see where a curb check would cause a head gasket leak. Use the suggested by @Schurkey, pressure tester and be sure. The throw resulting from the impact can throw the weight of a loose heater hose around and cause a connection leak. IMO, if you leak at the head gasket or the intake, the leak was there before the impact. But again, IMO.
im certain there were no leaks before this incident. and clean oil. currently i havent checked the oil im trying to figure out the best way of diagnosing myself so how or why is pretty irrelevant at this point the leak its well above the hoses and the and i cant see any wetness coming from my manifold

Reaction score
update
ok so i just checked again there is coolant around the manifold area. so i am going to replace my manifold i have the tbi what kind of upgrade options do i have for my manifold and what other things should i replace while i have all the **** off assume i have the money to buy wahtever you can think of. i will be replacing it because i have already had to rethread a bold hole where the thermostat housing is a while back.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Go and get an exhaust gasses kit at the parts store and follow directions and see if you have gasses in the coolant and that would indicate head gasket problems. Some of your responses collide together and I cannot follow your train of thought. If you start the truck and drive it and see white exhaust smoke, you have head gasket problems. Park the truck and let sit and cool down. Pull all plugs and then crank engine over and see if any fluid at all shoots out of the plug holes. If you do, you have head gasket problems.

Reaction score
Go and get an exhaust gasses kit at the parts store and follow directions and see if you have gasses in the coolant and that would indicate head gasket problems. Some of your responses collide together and I cannot follow your train of thought. If you start the truck and drive it and see white exhaust smoke, you have head gasket problems. Park the truck and let sit and cool down. Pull all plugs and then crank engine over and see if any fluid at all shoots out of the plug holes. If you do, you have head gasket problems.
i just looked and it is comming mostly from the intake gasket area and there is no smoke just a funky smelll i posted an update just above so now i need some ideas for replacing the intake manifold and what else i should replace while doing that and if changing to carburator gains me any power or what pros and cons there are

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
i just looked and it is comming mostly from the intake gasket area and there is no smoke just a funky smelll i posted an update just above so now i need some ideas for replacing the intake manifold and what else i should replace while doing that and if changing to carburator gains me any power or what pros and cons there are
You do not have a carb. It is a TBI unit. The smell was likely some of the coolant getting on the exhaust. There is a whole list of things that can be done while replacing the intake gaskets. Watch a few you tube videos for the process.