Has anyone thought of custom machining a brake mouting flange?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure of the back spacing but it seems one could cut the center out of a 10" backing plate and weld it into an 11" backing plate and use earlier 11" drums. The bolt holes would have to be bored to 14mm(7/16") and I think the center holes would have to be opened up.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who's gonna weld it in? Who's gonna cut the tube square to weld the flange? What about the bearing mount recess?
This isn't just quite as simple as it you think. There is the thought of reinventing the wheel. When established better idea is available.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely agree^^^. It’s definitely more complicated than meets the eye. Another possible issue is the new flange. I’m pretty sure @SNCTMPL, pointed out in his build thread, the flange has a “step” machined into it that the backer plate’s axle hole sits on. Yeah, you could incorporate that in your new custom flange, but it’s another consideration. Probably a few more too!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could take 11” backer plates, somehow fill existing flange bolt holes(braze/grind?), and then redrill 10” flange bolt pattern.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then you would need a perfectly sized/machined ring to sit on 10” axle flange to accept 11” backer axle hole.

Cause dreaming is free. o_O

Last edited:

jtdegreenia

Reaction score
Who's gonna weld it in? Who's gonna cut the tube square to weld the flange? What about the bearing mount recess?
This isn't just quite as simple as it you think. There is the thought of reinventing the wheel. When established better idea is available.
I would weld it, and you wouldn't cut the tube...you'd simply cut the welds off the existing bracket and remove.

Captainfab

Reaction score
I currently fabricate a backing plate flange for the '63 truck 12 bolt. Fabricating a backing plate flange for the 9.5 14 bolt with the 11" brakes would be mainly a dimensional change plus threading the bolt holes. It really would not be difficult for me to fabricate if there is indeed an interest.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fabricating a backing plate flange for the 9.5 14 bolt with the 11" brakes would be mainly a dimensional change plus threading the bolt holes.
As in, an adapter to mount the 11” drum brakes from the 9.5” 14 bolt to, the the 8.5” 10 bolt axle housing that’s in a lot of c1500 gmt400 trucks?

Yes, I do believe there’s interest. :anitoof:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As in, an adapter to mount the 11” drum brakes from the 9.5” 14 bolt to, the the 8.5” 10 bolt axle housing that’s in a lot of c1500 gmt400 trucks?

Yes, I do believe there’s interest. :anitoof:
…and or the 8.5 in a K1500. Oh yeah, there’s interest.