Guys...Is she worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just recently acquired a 1997 GMC Sierra 2500 SL 4x4 with a long wheel base. I got it for free. My fiance's dad had it sitting around the house not going anywhere and it needs a lot of work. It has about 260XXX miles on it. When it was parked in 2007 it was an alright truck but after a few friends of her dad borrowed it and beat it to hell it sort of went down hill. The interior is still decent other than it needs new door handles. It has a cracked engine head and needs an engine rebuild (or new engine...what are your thoughts?) needs a torque converter and the usual restoring work. The body and frame is flawless other than faded paint in the hood. Is she worth the time and effort? Or should I just save up and buy something that needs less work. What I'm really asking is if with the proper restoration can I a make it a daily driver and a monthly bogger or am I in for a let down.
You must be registered for see images attach

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I don't think it's too bad, I've seen guys on here take way worse than that, and made them pretty awesome

sent from the GMC

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Door handles, Engine and torque converter could be sourced from the junkyard for under a grand easily, soap, water and a buffer, new tires and brakes and a lookover of the rest of the drive line and your set with a nice low buck truck. I would go for it in a heartbeat!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For one..... How do you know its a cracked head? Also how do you know TC is shot? If body is in good shape i would find a motor/trans combo and slap it in and go

Reaction score
I'm not certain on the cracked head. I asked the owner about it and he presumed it was a cracked head because he found water or something where it shouldnt be( wasnt listening because all I heard was "you can have it") and He knows for sure it needs a torque converter. And thats what I want to do. Just finding a combo for the right price is the problem. My Goal is to turn it into a daily driver and I want to bog with it too so I want a reliable engine set up along with a 6 inch suspension lift, new tires, rims, ect. I havent really dug into the engine yet of course Im not a mechanic either but I'd be willing to learn.

BadBowtie 98

BOWTIE TILL I DIE
Reaction score
I just recently acquired a 1997 GMC Sierra 2500 SL 4x4 with a long wheel base. I got it for free. My fiance's dad had it sitting around the house not going anywhere and it needs a lot of work. It has about 260XXX miles on it. When it was parked in 2007 it was an alright truck but after a few friends of her dad borrowed it and beat it to hell it sort of went down hill. The interior is still decent other than it needs new door handles. It has a cracked engine head and needs an engine rebuild (or new engine...what are your thoughts?) needs a torque converter and the usual restoring work. The body and frame is flawless other than faded paint in the hood. Is she worth the time and effort? Or should I just save up and buy something that needs less work. What I'm really asking is if with the proper restoration can I a make it a daily driver and a monthly bogger or am I in for a let down.

MUD TRUCK!

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
For a free truck your alrEady ahead of the game. Get the truck running confirm tc issue and coolant repair and go over the vehicle and get everything up to date safety wise.

Adam

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. My intent is to make a bad ass GMC Mud truck/daily driver but I have to start somewhere. I'm gonna pull her under the shed today and get her going. She does run but barely. If I see too much going on in the engine (cracked heads or worse) I know of a 350 for $350 here in town and I'll check it out. My ideal engine would be a 454 especially for this size of a truck. Not saying that I would turn down a good 350 either. But before I even think about a lift (6" Rough Country RCX haha) and tires and rims I want to know that she's a safe driver.