Grabbing brakes on 97 C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lack of lubrication on caliper slide pins.
Possibly brake faulty hose.

Did you ever get this resolved?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Lack of lubrication on caliper slide pins.
Possibly brake faulty hose.

Did you ever get this resolved?
Then, the problem ended up coming back to the hydro boost unit. Since that was replaced, no issues till today. I'll take it out to the shop building and do an inspection of the brakes tomorrow morning, if it doesn't rain all day.....

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Then, the problem ended up coming back to the hydro boost unit. Since that was replaced, no issues till today. I'll take it out to the shop building and do an inspection of the brakes tomorrow morning, if it doesn't rain all day.....
Hopefully it is just the caliper pins being grungy or dry, and sticking.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Trying to get it apart today....and the fckin right front wheel is stuck on the hub and rotor!!!!
Any hints on removing it?? Thanks!

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to get it apart today....and the fckin right front wheel is stuck on the hub and rotor!!!!
Any hints on removing it?? Thanks!
Yup...put the lug nuts back on, but just a bit loose. Then kick the hell out of the tire. (Your heel to tire 12 o'clock. Or turn around and bottom of foot to side of tire (like a horse kicking someone).)

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yup...put the lug nuts back on, but just a bit loose. Then kick the hell out of the tire. (Your heel to tire 12 o'clock. Or turn around and bottom of foot to side of tire (like a horse kicking someone).)

I've kicked them, I've also used a sledge hammer (at 9, 6, and 3) after I had a tire shop do that.... saves on the foot, but you need to have good aim, too. I never put nuts back on, but that sounds like a good idea.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I put 4 nuts back on, just barely loose, and smacked it with a hammer a few times. Then dropped it on the ground (it was on the jack, about 3" off the ground). Neither action budged it. Gonna let it sit tonight and tomorrow (heavy rain expected) and go back to it on Christmas Day.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I put 4 nuts back on, just barely loose, and smacked it with a hammer a few times. Then dropped it on the ground (it was on the jack, about 3" off the ground). Neither action budged it. Gonna let it sit tonight and tomorrow (heavy rain expected) and go back to it on Christmas Day.
I've had to the best luck working around the tire with the hammer. 12-6 then 3-9, repeat. I now put some antisieze on the hub and wheel to help keep that oxidation at bay.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I've had to the best luck working around the tire with the hammer. 12-6 then 3-9, repeat. I now put some antisieze on the hub and wheel to help keep that oxidation at bay.
Good idea, I think I'll do that once I get it apart. May sand just a tad bit on the hub hole too. It's a snug fit on the left side, but I had no trouble getting the wheel off or back on.
And the lug nuts are 7/8" hex, not 22mm which is slightly larger. A few of the nuts are beginning to round the hex flat corners. My metabo cordless impact gun had no problem busting the lugs loose though!