Grabby front brakes, what to check first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hello all, have a brake question. Front brakes on the crew cab are getting grabby at the last part of a stop. I initially thought it was bad pavement because we're on the east side of Houston,with really crappy roads. The heat has done no favors to the old asphalt.... joints are buckling and chunks out of pavement. If you're not careful, it'll make you move enough to change lanes.....
When you ease into a stop for a light or stop sign, it doesn't do it as bad. But if you have to get on it a little harder, it's worse. Can't hear any scraping or grinding noise (like if the pads or shoes were metal to metal). It's at the very end of the stopping, right where it makes full stop, that it does this. I think it's only the fronts,but it shakes the truck. Power assist is working fine!
Going out tomorrow morning to get it on the jack and pull the front wheels off, one side at a time. Hoping it's just that the caliper slides are dirty and need cleaning and lubrication. If it needs pads, I can handle that ( they are just bigger than the half ton ones, but set up similar).
Thanks in advance for your help!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Probably one of the more neglected maintenance of disc brakes is lubrication of the caliper slide pins. Probably a good place to start and quite likely the culprit.
That's what I'm figuring. This truck has been sitting more than it's been driven for several years. And they did a decent job of cleaning the outside and interior, but nothing under the hood or underneath it. I think I got a fair bit of Atascosa County dirt in the deal.....
At least I have two days off consecutive.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yes I'm sure they're original! I think a hardware kit shouldn't be too expensive, and well worth it to make this beast stop properly.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd check for leaky calipers and cylinders first. When I got WCJr running, the rear wheel cylinders were leaking, gumming up the rear brakes. It had fairly new shoes on it. I replaced the cylinders and used rubbing alcohol and a brush to clean the shoes. It's been fine ever since, and the rubbing alcohol didn't harm the shoe linings.

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
@HotWheelsBurban you might consider getting the rotor runout checked. My 1995 c2500 is doing this exact thing because of warped rotors. If you get the acdelco pads from rock they should come with a hardware kit(at least mine did) it came with new rubber bushings and shims