• white

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • black

• other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am looking for a set of 73-87 steel wheels and Dog Dish hub caps. In the mean time, I have these to play with. They haven't got much love over the last 24 years so they are pretty well pitted and no amount of cleaning and polishing is going to bring em back. I was thinking about scrubbing them down with soapy water and scuffing them with one of those plastic scotch brite pads and painting them. Figure some sort of spray bomb primer and same for the paint. Current wheels are an argent silver color, but rust and dirt stained and paint is missing in places. Anyone got any comments or recommendations on:

1. Technique?

2. Color?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry I'm no help really with refinishing the plastic, other than the knowledge that it's going to be time consuming. So much so that if I were you I'd consider just buying a nice used set. You can get four that look brand new for $50-$60.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-1999-...-Wheel-Hub-Center-Cap-CHROME-SET/141119709825

If you're just looking for something to do then go for it, but at a certain point it might be beneficial to think about what your time is worth.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you really want steel wheels with dog dishes down the road, no point spending too much time or money on a band aid, IMO. Just give them a quick sanding/ wire wheeling and hit them with a coat of that rustoleum paint and primer that says it stops rust. It will cost you an afternoon and $4.