Good welders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
The same price for a Lincoln Electric looks fine, but is a little more expensive and the Miller looks like it has more options in terms of thickness. Lots of options for welders, and these are just new ones. https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en/Products/k4195-2

I have to be tasked with being the only person in a group of people that own a welder, so that's why I'm looking for one that would weld 3/8+ inch of metal. I would like to one day upgrade my shop into a 138,000 square foot former K-mart full of tools and projects (not including the outside space!), then I can buy a welder like this: https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en/Products/k3484-1 . I admit I got carried away on the website for welders, that's why you don't give me access to the Chevy/GMC/Cadillac website, I'll just spec out vehicles all day :Big Laugh:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
For the home hobbyist on a budget, IMO you cant get much better than an Everlast. I have a 350EXT TIG machine with a water cooler and I love that thing! It has so many features that even Miller doesnt currently have in their lineup.

Check out Everlast machines!

jmason95

Reaction score
Really man? It's infinitely adjustable as compared to indexed buttons. I'm pretty sure everybody but you understood. You didn't even spell it correctly

in·fi·nite·ly
[ˈinfənətlē]

ADVERB
  1. to an infinite extent or amount; without limit:
    "there are issues here that could be expanded infinitely" ·
    [more]
    • to a very great degree; immensely:
      "a sweet, infinitely watchable performance" ·
      [mo
exactly "without limit" and there's a limit to both heat and wire speed. sorry i was off one letter professor but id rather know how a welder works that to be a perfect speller. thanks for proving my point for me too

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miller and Lincoln lovers are kinda like Chevy and Ford lovers. Either you like 1 or the other :anitoof:
When I was working in a food plant outside of Modesto CA we had a great salesman and welding supply shop which carried Hobart. Because of that support I bought mostly from them, welders, plasma torches, gas, and supplies. Yeah, they delivered too :waytogo:
We ran them on 240/480V in the industrial setting.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Miller and Lincoln lovers are kinda like Chevy and Ford lovers. Either you like 1 or the other :anitoof:
When I was working in a food plant outside of Modesto CA we had a great salesman and welding supply shop which carried Hobart. Because of that support I bought mostly from them, welders, plasma torches, gas, and supplies. Yeah, they delivered too :waytogo:
Yes, and no. Back when, if you wanted a welding generator, you bought a Lincoln. If you wanted a shop machine, you bought a Miller. The biggest issue with any off brand machine, is getting it serviced if and when you have issues. We have about 6 Esab welding machines at the shop. We only use 1 of them, and it is my wire feed. It welds grate, but you can not get parts for it any more. The other Esab machines, are sitting out side on a shelf, in the weather. They are basically junk.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
I like chevys but I prefer not to own a ford but I have in the past. I have had a Lincoln but I might prefer a miller, just experimenting. I have separate 240 outlets in my shop. I wired them up myself, something I’d never do again without supervision. My supply shop for welding is not existant. I go to various stores that sell welding supplies but no place specifically.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have separate 240 outlets in my shop. I wired them up myself, something I’d never do again without supervision.
LOL. When I wired mine, I put in a 50 AMP outlet at the panel and one on the other side of the shop. With my 6ga extension cord, I can reach all over inside and 50' outside, here's an "in process" picture :waytogo:
You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
exactly "without limit" and there's a limit to both heat and wire speed. sorry i was off one letter professor but id rather know how a welder works that to be a perfect speller. thanks for proving my point for me too
Fer ***'s sake read the whole definition, lol

The part you missed... again

to a very great degree; immensely:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please stop waving your weiners at each other. Everyone else doesn't need to see them. It was a misunderstanding, please be gracious and accept it.

Well, I have a Ford and a Chevy, and in addition to my Miller, I have a cheap Lincoln 220v arc welder that I started with.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please stop waving your weiners at each other. Everyone else doesn't need to see them. It was a misunderstanding, please be gracious and accept it.
Not exactly, the fng walked in and started running his virtual mouth. It was unnecessary, inaccurate, and sets the tone for his tenure here which will be short I'm guessing.