Good welders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
My welder chose to not work about a week back, not sure what happened but I don't really want to deal with buying parts. I want to know a good welder brand that has a large wire capacity (I'm lazy), and wont break in 2 years (the one thats gonna be replaced was about 5 years old). I know that Lincoln electric makes good ones, but are there any else?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Miller 211 machine, 110/220v switchable, very versatile machine for anything auto related, can push .023 on 110 and .030 on 220v.

The auto-set factory feature is phenominal and get's it done with everything but upside down welding it seems. Pick the wire thickness and the gauge of metal and it almost flawless depending on the cleanliness and prep.

On manual you can tamper with wire speed and heat settings. Both a infinitely adjustable unlike some cheaper machines where the swithches are indexed

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Miller, but they aren't cheap. Then the next thing is, what all do you want to weld. The thicker the metal, the more amps it takes, so you need a bigger machine. If all your doing is sheet metal, a small wire feed is all you need. If your doing aluminum, then you really need a TIG welder. Again, Miller offers any machine you may need. I have a Miller stick welder in my shop, that I can also TIG weld with, but not aluminum. I can do any aluminum at work, but that welding machine is huge. We do weld aluminum, sst, inconel, monel, steel, cast iron, copper sometimes, and just about any metal that can be welded. Most all of this with TIG.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
I have a separate TIG welder, did a full conversion on it a few months back. Millers are expensive, insert I'm cheap quote here, but if they are good quality I'm gonna look for it.

One I found that looks good for what I need, or want :Big Laugh: is 3 grand. One that will be useful is slightly cheaper: https://www.millerwelds.com/equipme...millermatic-211-mig-welder-auto-repair-951715 . I'm willing to spend some good money for a welder or anything for that matter that's good quality. Not ready to pull the trigger though, I dont have 2.8k laying around and if i did, I'd have a lot of projects laying around :Big Laugh:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Miller 211. I have the older version that is about twice that size. It conked out early on, but was still within warranty, and it was a known issue. Miller sent me to a local shop that got it fixed pretty quick. Since then I've used it quite a bit. I can drag it to a friend's house and help him weld his Miata on his garage's 110v circuits. At my house I have 220v plugs and can weld pretty much anything I need to. I use a 150 cuft argon bottle and 11 lb spools of wire and I can weld all weekend long without running out.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a separate TIG welder, did a full conversion on it a few months back. Millers are expensive, insert I'm cheap quote here, but if they are good quality I'm gonna look for it.

One I found that looks good for what I need, or want :Big Laugh: is 3 grand. One that will be useful is slightly cheaper: https://www.millerwelds.com/equipme...millermatic-211-mig-welder-auto-repair-951715 . I'm willing to spend some good money for a welder or anything for that matter that's good quality. Not ready to pull the trigger though, I dont have 2.8k laying around and if i did, I'd have a lot of projects laying around :Big Laugh:
I have found that when buying a welder from a local welding shop you'll get better pricing on gas and consumables. Your results may vary. Just walk in with a price sheet, a local shop is likely to price match.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Hobart Ironman 210 that I bought when I was out of college and wanting to learn how to weld. It's a toned-down version of the Miller, usually sold and marketed for DIYer and Farmers/Ranchers. They've since come out with the 230 or 240A version. I bought mine at Northern Tool. I really like it for FCAW/MIG.

Since then I bought an 80s AC only Miller Thunderbolt to learn stick, which I sold last year. I bought early 90s Idealarc AC/DC light industrial welder.

Lately, an inexpensive FCAW Century 120V inverter for little stuff. I also like it.

I want to get into TIG, but haven't gotten there yet... I'm just a hobbyist.

jmason95

Reaction score
Miller 211 machine, 110/220v switchable, very versatile machine for anything auto related, can push .023 on 110 and .030 on 220v.

The auto-set factory feature is phenominal and get's it done with everything but upside down welding it seems. Pick the wire thickness and the gauge of metal and it almost flawless depending on the cleanliness and prep.

On manual you can tamper with wire speed and heat settings. Both a infinitely adjustable unlike some cheaper machines where the swithches are indexed
how are either heat or wire speed infinitley adjustable. there is literally a end point on both. its not like the wire can spool out at the speed of sound or you can fill a v-groove in 1in plate in a single pass right ?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how are either heat or wire speed infinitley adjustable. there is literally a end point on both. its not like the wire can spool out at the speed of sound or you can fill a v-groove in 1in plate in a single pass right ?
Really man? It's infinitely adjustable as compared to indexed buttons. I'm pretty sure everybody but you understood. You didn't even spell it correctly

in·fi·nite·ly
[ˈinfənətlē]

ADVERB
  1. to an infinite extent or amount; without limit:
    "there are issues here that could be expanded infinitely" ·
    [more]
    • to a very great degree; immensely:
      "a sweet, infinitely watchable performance" ·
      [mo

Last edited:

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
I have found that when buying a welder from a local welding shop you'll get better pricing on gas and consumables. Your results may vary. Just walk in with a price sheet, a local shop is likely to price match.
I'm fairly close to 4 major cites, so finding a good welding shop won't be difficult. 12 to be exact using the locator for Miller, and likely more if I go with other brands