Good welders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried any harbor freight ones?
https://www.harborfreight.com/weldi...essional-welder-with-120240v-input-64805.html
Not one I would buy, but maybe there is one that would be good. This is one that i saw first.
It's kind of been said, when you buy a cheap welder you go into it knowing parts availability is a problem. For home or hobby use a welder will sit in the corner a lot so when you're on year 2 or 3 the machine might not have much actual use but if something goes you throw the machine out and buy another one.

Cheap welders usually have low duty cycles like 20% which is 2 minutes of welding every 10. The Miller 211 has a cutoff that will prevent you from overheating and killing the machine. I forget the duty cycle on the Miller 211 and at what amps the ratings for. 30 or 40% which is better but you're still not going to build skyscrapers with it. Compared to another welder I have that is 100% duty cycle at 140 amps

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's something I've wondered about before:

The settings inside the welder panels are for specific metal thicknesses, right? But it doesn't take into account weld type?

A fillet weld in the flat position would require (slightly?) different settings than a open root CJP in the overhead position? I realize those are starting-point settings and operator can make adjustments as needed.

Stick welders don't come with that chart...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheap welders usually have low duty cycles like 20% which is 2 minutes of welding every 10. The Miller 211 has a cutoff that will prevent you from overheating and killing the machine.
I think I've hit the thermal cutoff on my Miller 211 once. For an automotive hobbyist, it's all the welder you'll ever need.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^ yea, and I'm surprised how many people dont realize how easy it is to get a 220 plug in their house or garage. They think they need a whole new panel and thousands of dollars worth of work from an electrician even though half of their current panel isnt knocked out yet, lol.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
The best shop upgrade was getting multiple 220 outlets. Improves welds by a lot for me. The only problem with my current shop is the massive dormant wasp nest that I know is going to get annoying in the summer. Those suckers have no mercy!
Edit: 240 outlets are also in my shop and are great. Wiring them up myself almost burnt down my shop and wasn’t great. For a time one of my good friends had a fake campaign and said “Make Ezra’s 240 outlets greater than before!”

Last edited:

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
Haven't pulled the trigger on the Miller just yet, my welding use has not been high recently. I also don't have 2 grand just yet, and if I did they're would be another GMT400 in my driveway.

Now that I say that, I'm gonna have half of the people that live on my road asking for their truck welded back together :lol: