Gmt 400 k1500 steering drama could use help on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshml95

Reaction score
I inherited my uncles gmt 400 it has a 8 inch lift, before I got the truck it was vandalized they cut out the battery and power bank in the eninge compartment and under the dash, wore the front caliper to a stump including the rotor destroyed the back brake cylinder after replacing and fixing everything, I got it on the road and it drove all over the road after doing some research I found most likely problem is rag joint and steering shaft I ended up getting a borgenson shaft after two weeks of waiting I find out no rag joint instead of dealing with the drama again I thought I would ask the real experts for advice on what rag joint I should get or if I should return the shaft and get something else or what I should do any advice would be greatly welcome and would be just amazing to get this truck back to its formal glory

Attachments

• 20210626_111943.jpg
    20210626_111943.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 7

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to Stock Suspension + Bolt On Kits

There's a bunch of threads regarding rag joint and U-joint upgrades for the steering shaft. Your answers are probably already posted by someone if you do a search.

When it was me, I was THRILLED to be rid of that damned rag joint on my K1500. I'll take a U-joint at the lower end of the shaft any day. But I used a Genuine GM part (for a C3500) not an aftermarket item.

Joshml95

Reaction score
It would definitely help maybe to put a specific steering column up I wasnt able to find any definitive answer but I will continue to look thank you for pointing me in the tight direction

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I inherited my uncles gmt 400 it has a 8 inch lift, before I got the truck it was vandalized they cut out the battery and power bank in the eninge compartment and under the dash, wore the front caliper to a stump including the rotor destroyed the back brake cylinder after replacing and fixing everything, I got it on the road and it drove all over the road after doing some research I found most likely problem is rag joint and steering shaft I ended up getting a borgenson shaft after two weeks of waiting I find out no rag joint instead of dealing with the drama again I thought I would ask the real experts for advice on what rag joint I should get or if I should return the shaft and get something else or what I should do any advice would be greatly welcome and would be just amazing to get this truck back to its formal glory
Be glad they forgot to include the rag joint. Mine from Borgeson tore after 3 years.