GM Crate Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does anybody have any experience with crate engines from these guys? Prices from this site seem hard to beat. Been looking all around and they have the lowest prices on anything I’ve seen. Currently looking at the HT383E drop in for a 98 gmc k1500. Just wanting to make sure it’s legit before pulling the trigger.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with crate engines from these guys? Prices from this site seem hard to beat. Been looking all around and they have the lowest prices on anything I’ve seen. Currently looking at the HT383E drop in for a 98 gmc k1500. Just wanting to make sure it’s legit before pulling the trigger.
I have never dealt with the company personally, but there are BBB complaints against them. Worth a review:

Every business has complaints. It's just a matter of evaluating the risk ($6k engine). I would be wary of a site that doesn't even post its business address on its website. I consider that shady.

For starters, try this: call the phone numbers listed on their website and observe how easy it is to speak to a company representative.

As an aside, will you be tuning the ECM? Will you be using the spider fuel injection system?

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never dealt with the company personally, but there are BBB complaints against them. Worth a review:

Every business has complaints. It's just a matter of evaluating the risk ($6k engine). I would be wary of a site that doesn't even post its business address on its website. I consider that shady.

For starters, try this: call the phone numbers listed on their website and observe how easy it is to speak to a company representative.

As an aside, will you be tuning the ECM? Will you be using the spider fuel injection system?
Yeah I think I’ll give them a call. Yes I plan on tuning the ECM and would like to upgrade to the MPFI system.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy from GM performance parts if you're looking for a genuine GM crate engine. You may even get me to help, LMAO.
If one installs the HT383E in place of the stock L31 on a 96-00, how can one tune it best? Will stock spider fuel injectors provide sufficient fuel to achieve the most power from the engine?

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
If one installs the HT383E in place of the stock L31 on a 96-00, how can one tune it best? Will stock spider fuel injectors provide sufficient fuel to achieve the most power from the engine?
We(GM) offer a "tuned" computer for 96+ vehicles. But in all honesty, I'd go with HP Tuners, and have someone local to you do a dyno tune on it. As much as I like our products, I advocate for those who can do it better, lol.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We(GM) offer a "tuned" computer for 96+ vehicles. But in all honesty, I'd go with HP Tuners, and have someone local to you do a dyno tune on it. As much as I like our products, I advocate for those who can do it better, lol.
I would tend to trust a GM engineer above all others.

Do you have more info (perhaps URL) on this tuned computer? I'm still searching/Googleing.