GM Crate Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canadaguy5150

Reaction score
Honestly from watching a few more videos, it’s seems like doing the extra work to take off the core support makes it a helluva lot easier to get inside there and have more working room
I pull the core support. Gives me leg room and saves a guy's back a bit. Just preference though, not necessary. Personally I learned (the hard way) that my cherry picker will hit the top of my garage door if I try to lift the engine over the core support. Something to consider if you have a seven foot garage door and/or your truck is backed into the garage with cherry picker exiting into driveway.
Also if you can get your hands on a genuine GM chassis service manual they are immensely helpful. Almost everything you need is there. Also have all the correct torque specs in one place, removal/installation sequences, wiring diagrams, parts identification etc.
You'll be fine, it's really not that hard. Best of luck.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pull the core support. Gives me leg room and saves a guy's back a bit. Just preference though, not necessary. Personally I learned (the hard way) that my cherry picker will hit the top of my garage door if I try to lift the engine over the core support. Something to consider if you have a seven foot garage door and/or your truck is backed into the garage with cherry picker exiting into driveway.
Also if you can get your hands on a genuine GM chassis service manual they are immensely helpful. Almost everything you need is there. Also have all the correct torque specs in one place, removal/installation sequences, wiring diagrams, parts identification etc.
You'll be fine, it's really not that hard. Best of luck.
Thanks for the input. I order the removal and reinstall book- Dr. Whaba Vortec V8 350ci Removal & Installation Photo Instruction Kit for ’96-’99 GM Full Size Trucks

Ive worked about 2.5 hours on it and I’ve got everything done up to unbolting and separating the tranny from the engine. The book is a lot of help because it has photo instructions and shows where everything is and tells you what tool is needed.

privateer

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I order the removal and reinstall book- Dr. Whaba Vortec V8 350ci Removal & Installation Photo Instruction Kit for ’96-’99 GM Full Size Trucks

Ive worked about 2.5 hours on it and I’ve got everything done up to unbolting and separating the tranny from the engine. The book is a lot of help because it has photo instructions and shows where everything is and tells you what tool is needed.
Any updates on your project? Did you go with the HT383E or stock crate engine? Did you replace your transmission also?

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I *think* the HD engines with the hardened exhaust seat only have a single angle valve job. I know the valves aren't backcut like the non-HD are. Flow numbers are worse, do with that what you will. The 4 bolt main isn't all the old timers crack it up to be either, since the caps are non-splayed. A 2 bolt main will be strong enough on the bottom end until your fueling system can no longer support it.